Parents need to know how to seal the umbilical hernia in newborns, patches are used to prevent the development of the disease, which fix the position of the navel, provide air access to the skin areas under the dressing. Treatment of the disease in infants is carried out under the supervision of doctors, and the use of non-sterile means and traditional methods may lead to the development of complications and the need for surgical intervention.
Treatment of umbilical hernia in infants is carried out under the supervision of doctors.
Types of patches
Before applying the patch, the place where the umbilical cord is cut should heal so as not to provoke skin inflammation. Dressing material is used to form the aesthetic appearance of the navel in a child. The adhesive side does not cause discomfort during use, and the top layer, made of natural fabric, does not cause allergies.
Types of patches used to treat umbilical hernia are made from special materials. Depending on the type of dressing, the technique of its fastening differs.
- Hartmann's umbilical plaster is made from a material that does not irritate the baby’s skin. The dressing material has a rectangular shape, in the middle there is a cloth pad. Sealed package of 1 pc. provides sterility in a single use.
- Prevention of the disease in an infant with a violation of the digestive system is carried out using a Chicco umbilical adhesive tape. The dressing material easily allows air to pass through; the baby’s skin breathes under a bandage. The umbilical plaster is tightly fastened, and the presence of a sterile pad allows its use on the unhealed navel wound. Adhesive plaster is sold in packs of 8-10 pieces.
- Porofix umbilical patch is made in the form of two fasteners, the appearance resembling a belt buckle. When joined and fixed, they form a fold of skin on the abdomen and prevent protrusion in the navel. The use of this type of dressing is strictly prohibited on an open wound.
The Hartmann umbilical plaster has a rectangular shape, in the middle there is a cloth pad.
Porofix umbilical patch is made in the form of two fasteners, the appearance resembling a belt buckle.
For the treatment of the disease in a child, a bandage is used. A soft elastic belt provides local compression in the navel, stimulates muscle strengthening and prevents the release of the hernial protrusion.
For the treatment of the disease in a child, a bandage is used. A soft elastic belt provides local compression in the navel, stimulates muscle strengthening and prevents the release of the hernial protrusion.
The method of treatment of the umbilical hernia is the need to constantly maintain it in the changed position. Additionally, apply massage and gymnastic exercises. Keeping the navel in the correct position promotes healing.
The reasons for the occurrence of the disease in the newborn: strong tension of the abdominal muscles and weak muscles in the navel. After the umbilical cord is cut and tied, a ring forms around it. The muscles of the anterior abdominal wall develop and strengthen by 2-3 years.
Due to this pathology, a protrusion of part of the intestine, abdominal cavity, and subcutaneous fat layers occurs. The danger of the disease is squeezing part of the intestine, which can lead to tissue necrosis.
To properly seal a hernia at home, you need to consult a pediatric surgeon. For the first time, the doctor will self-adhere the plaster and tell about the manipulations.
To begin with, a piece of tape (about 7 cm) is torn off the coil and glued around the navel on one side. Use your second finger to lower the navel down, two fingers to fill it over the fold of skin, and stick the plaster.
The bandage must be worn for 4 days. While bathing, the patch, which sealed the navel, you need to soak in water, remove, and lubricate the skin with baby cream.
A copper coin tied to the navel has been used to treat umbilical hernia by previous generations. But when using a coin, it is impossible to determine whether the internal organs are set correctly, and infection can develop under the closed part of the abdomen.
To cure a child, before feeding it is necessary to spread him more often on his stomach, to prevent a long cry, to ensure that there is no flatulence and constipation.
If the hernia is more than 2 cm wide and does not disappear by the age of 5, then there is a possibility that the intestine is stuck in the umbilical ring. In this case, you will need to quickly resolve the problem.
What is an umbilical hernia and how does it look?
Hernia is called a marked protrusion of the muscles around the navel, formed due to their excessive tension. Depending on the severity of the pathology, the resulting tubercle can have different sizes, up to ten centimeters in diameter. When pressed, the seal falls inward, while emitting a characteristic sound.
Causes of umbilical hernia
Hernia formation begins immediately after the umbilical cord process disappears. The reason for this - the displacement of internal organs. The umbilical muscles of most babies are firm enough to prevent protrusion of the intestines through the abdominal wall, but this does happen with some children. The reason for this is the influence of risk factors:
- genetic predisposition to the disease,
- the underdevelopment of tissues observed in most premature babies,
- pathological changes in the structure of the body in the abdomen,
- the presence of diseases affecting muscle tone.
The umbilical hernia in infants is expressed visually and is perfectly palpable. However, to make a diagnosis without knowing all the symptoms of the disease is usually not possible. These signs will help to recognize a hernia in a newborn:
- increased compaction during tension in the abdominal muscles (observed with crying),
- painful reaction to weather changes,
- disorders of the digestive process (loss of appetite, problems with stool, vomiting) during exacerbations of the disease.
Massage for umbilical hernia
The most effective method of treatment of infant umbilical hernia is considered a special massage. Do it every day. It is better if the baby’s tummy is massaged by one of the parents. During the procedure, the baby must completely relax, otherwise the therapy will not work. Correct hernia like this:
- Knead your stomach, stroking it in a circular motion clockwise.
- The massage starts with thumbs pressing on the umbilical region.
- Knead navel. To do this, put his index finger on him and make successive circular movements: first 10 clockwise, then 10 against.
- Knead the areas above, below and on the sides of the navel with transverse movements of the thumbs (10 presses on each area).
- Correct the umbilical ring. To do this, press your finger on the navel itself, "tucking" it inside the abdominal wall. At the same time trying to bring together the edges of the ring.
For self-reliance, parents sometimes record an educational video, as a pediatrician does. Those who continue to doubt their ability to correct a hernia afterwards can use alternative methods of treating the disease.
Hernia Treatment Plasters
An effective method of treating a hernia is considered to be sealing it with a plaster, which fixes protruding tissue in the correct position for them. This method is used from the first days of the baby’s life and until the complete elimination of the problem.
Which patch is suitable to seal the hernia? Any! The main thing is that it meets the safety requirements and was made of hypoallergenic materials.
It is better to use patches designed specifically for newborns, such as Hartmann, Chicco and Porofix products.
They are made of non-woven hypoallergenic material. The plaster is packaged in individual packaging, in the middle there is a pad of soft fabric. Adhesives perfectly hold, and on the side that is adjacent to the skin, there is a water-repellent coating. They do not form additional folds in which bacteria can multiply. Suitable for children prone to allergic reactions.
These patches are most often recommended for babies who have digestive problems: colic, constipation. They have a sterile pad, they let in air and can be applied to the navel even if the wound is completely fresh. They are also used to prevent infection or not to further injure the navel with clothing.
On the shelves of modern pharmacies can be found patches specifically designed for the treatment of umbilical hernia. Popular products are the company "Porofix". Conventionally, the products of this manufacturer can be divided into 2 groups according to the type of its application:
- preventive, preventing the development of a hernia,
This patch is considered one of the most effective in the treatment of umbilical hernia, which is explained by its unusual shape. Two special fasteners, like a belt buckle, form a fold on the skin that prevents the hernia from bulging.
How to stick a plaster?
A plaster is glued strictly after the hernia is repositioned, securing the fold in the abdomen. How to do it right - the pediatrician will show the parents. Houses need to repeat his actions exactly. The crease should be on top of the umbilical ring. Then the hernia will be securely fixed by the tissues.
The plaster must be worn for at least 10 days. If a normal non-waterproof product is used, it is allowed to take it off while swimming.
Wearing a brace
An alternative to using the patch can be wearing a special bandage. This belt, which fixes the abdominal organs in the correct position for them, can be purchased at any large pharmacy.
Use the bandage "sessions" for 2.5-3 hours (in total - no more than 8 hours per day), after which the baby's skin is allowed to rest so that diaper rash does not appear. The use of the belt eliminates the need for parents to seal the navel of the child with adhesive tape, but not from a therapeutic massage!
Treatment of folk remedies
Another popular alternative to plaster is hernia repair using traditional methods. The most widely used clay compresses and copper coins, which are applied to the sore spot. The effectiveness of these methods, however, is subject to enormous doubt. Their use can lead to sad consequences, even the need for surgical intervention.
When is surgery required?
Cases when a hernia is removed surgically are rare. Intervention is required if the resulting seal causes pain and discomfort in the newborn.
The decision on the need for surgery is made by a pediatric surgeon if there are alarming symptoms:
- hernia hardening,
- redness of the abdominal skin
- swelling of the umbilical region,
- regular vomiting.
How does the patch
The umbilical patch plays the role of a bandage (treatment belt): it keeps the skin and muscles in the correct position and prevents the protrusion of internal organs, thereby accelerating the formation and closing of the umbilical ring and helping to eliminate the hernia. At the same time, the nursing baby does not experience pain or discomfort, since the thin, lightweight adhesive plaster made of breathable material does not hold down movements and does not cause unpleasant sensations.
Depending on the type of patch hernia treatment can last from 7 to 30 days.
It is important to note that this product is used as an aid. The effect of its use will be much higher if complex therapy is carried out, including other ways of dealing with hernia, which are aimed at strengthening the muscles of the abdominal wall (massage, exercise therapy, swimming, frequent laying on the stomach).
There are several types of anti-hernia patches that differ in composition and form.
Porofix patch is considered the most effective product for the treatment of infant navel hernia in infants. It consists of 2 parts, which are fastened to each other by the type of belt, ensuring reliable fixation of the abdominal muscles, excluding protrusion of organs and accidental peeling of the tape.
The material of the patch does not cause allergies and irritation, and the adhesive base does not contain harmful substances and does not harm children's skin.
For children of the first days of life, the remedy is not suitable, since it cannot be used with an unhealed umbilical wound - a bacterial infection may develop in it.
The anti-hernia plaster Arilis is a complete analogue of the Austrian-German product Porofix, which is slightly different from the original plaster in cost. Arilis is also fixed on the baby’s belly in the form of a belt, has good breathability and a hypoallergenic composition. Like Porofix, Arilis can only be applied after the wound on the navel has completely healed.
Adhesive tape is easily peeled off during bathing and does not leave marks on the skin.
Hartmann plasters (Hartmann) do not differ in special design and are made in the form of a wide adhesive tape.
Hartmann plasters (Hartmann) do not differ in special design and are made in the form of a wide adhesive tape.
The main advantage of these products is their hypoallergenic composition, which allows you to avoid unwanted reactions on the skin of the child.
These are breathable adhesive strips of natural material that can be easily removed from the baby’s stomach, almost without discomfort. In the treatment of abdominal hernia in infants, it is recommended to use adhesive plasters Hartmann Omnifilm and Hartmann Omnisilk.
Chicco is an elastic product that includes not only the adhesive plaster itself, but also a sterile disc that is applied to the navel before fixing the adhesive tape. This allows Chicco to be used in the treatment of hernia in very young children whose navel has not yet healed.
How to seal the umbilical hernia in newborns
Use the umbilical patches Arilis and Porofiks need as follows:
- Take the part of the patch in which there is a hole, remove half of the protective layer and glue the tape on the stomach on the left or right side at the level of the navel, retreating from it 3 cm.
- On the other hand, glue the second part of the product, then thread it into the hole of the first glued tape, not locking it.
- Spit the hernia with your fingers, tighten the plaster like a belt buckle and glue the loose ends on the abdomen, removing the remnants of the protective film. There should be 2 symmetrical folds above the navel.
Is the patch effective for older children and adults?
Anti-herniation patches can be used in the treatment of umbilical hernia in children under 5 years of age. Practice shows that even with a pronounced degree of impairment, these products help to fully cope with a defect in a few months, not only in infancy, but also in preschool age.
In the event of a pathology in an adult, adhesive plasters will not bring any benefit, in this case the hernia can only be removed surgically.
Plaster for umbilical hernia in infants
The umbilical hernia in a child manifests itself in the form of a strong protrusion of the ring, which is located in the middle of the abdominal region.The situation arises on the background of poor healing of the wound. If this diagnosis was made to your child, then you should not panic. Today there is a wide range of methods and tools that will quickly get rid of this pathology. The umbilical hernia patch for newborns is a popular treatment. Before using it, consult a surgeon.
Causes of the disease
Almost all parents are convinced that a hernia is formed if the child cries for a long time. However, this is not the only option manifestations of pathology. Hernia in infants appears against the background of the negative impact of the following factors:
- The child, due to its anatomical features, has a high degree of susceptibility to hernia.
- Children who were born ahead of time.
- Disorders in the digestive system.
Even a person without medical education can recognize a hernia in a newborn. In the area of the navel there is a strong protrusion, which can reach a height of two centimeters. The disease is formed due to muscle tension, which is produced on the background of crying or crying. Such a situation cannot arise at rest. The defect may additionally contain an area of swelling, which hurts a lot when palpating.
The disease is dangerous and requires timely diagnosis and treatment. However, parents should not panic. At the first stage it is necessary to visit the office of the attending physician. The surgeon carefully examines and feels the umbilical ring. Additionally, the study is conducted for the presence of puffiness, redness and pain. It is necessary to make sure that there are no complications.
According to statistics, about 80% of all sick children by the age of three forget about the existence of a hernia.
In the presence of this disease, the baby has pain only at the moment when the jamming occurs. When the first symptoms of this situation appear, you should consult a doctor.
Treatment of the disease
Today there are a large number of ways to get rid of the pathology. Treatment of an umbilical hernia can only choose the right doctor. This will require an examination and pass all the necessary tests.
In medical practice, to get rid of the pathology, you can use massage and swimming, which is carried out using a special circle. Gymnastic exercises will help to achieve positive dynamics. In the pharmacy, you can purchase a special plaster and bandage.
Porofiks - a popular method of getting rid of a hernia
It is not necessary to treat a hernia if you completely exclude the likelihood of negative external and internal factors affecting your baby. Moms should exactly follow the following surgeon's recommendations:
- During the period of GW, a woman must follow a diet and eat only those products that have been approved by a doctor. It is imperative to exclude dishes from the diet that lead to fermentation and the formation of gases in the intestines.
- If an artificial feeding option was chosen, then the infant should be properly selected mixture.
- Periodically, parents can stroke the baby’s tummy clockwise.
- It is important to put the baby on the belly every day.
Hernia is a feature of the body of the baby. As a rule, it self-eliminates up to three years. Parents can take action that will speed up the process. To do this, you must use a special plaster, massage and spread the crumbs on the tummy. In this case, the pathology will not be noticeable after a certain period. Band-Aid and Bandage are a great alternative to surgery.
Maria, 23 years old
My Dima was very naughty and cried because of colic. As a result, he began to bulge strongly hernia. The doctor recommended using Porofix plaster. In addition, we laid out our son on the stomach and did a massage. The umbilical hernia went away after about three weeks.
Victoria, 40 years old
Unfortunately, the hernia plaster did not help us. The child was very naughty, so a pinch occurred. To eliminate it, I had to have an operation.
Types and application of patches for umbilical hernia (Porofix and others)
The use of a plaster for umbilical hernia (special “anti-hernia” or normal) in children under 5 years old helps to eliminate the pathology and its further progression. With all umbilical hernias, preserved or arisen after five years of age, sticking will not give a positive result. Therefore, later in the article we will talk about the application of this method in young children.
In fact, the “anti-hernia” patch is the most common patch, but it is made in such a way that it significantly reduces the likelihood of incorrect sticking of the navel (which is very important).
Umbilical hernia occurs in every fourth to fifth newborn. It is easy to diagnose, but in the absence of adequate treatment, the hernia may be stranded, leading the child to the surgical table.
Fortunately, such a scenario is extremely rare. But in order to completely eliminate the risk of injury and quickly help the child cope with the problem, parents can use special patches.
How does the patch work, how to apply it correctly (instruction), what is its effectiveness? Read on.
How does the patch work?
With this pathology, the baby expands the umbilical ring, and the organs penetrate the umbilical hole under the skin, forming a protrusion.
The patch compresses the connective tissue ring and fix it in this position. At this point, the bodies that formed the protrusion, are immersed in the abdominal cavity.
Thus, the hernia is eliminated, and the umbilical ring, without experiencing more pressure by the organs that open it, no longer expands. The child grows, the abdominal muscles are strengthened, the bowels work is normalized, an increased gas formation takes place, which increases the intra-abdominal pressure. All these factors contribute to the fact that the hernia is rapidly reduced in size and disappears.
Do I need to use special "anti-shear" patches?
In fact, a hernia can be treated with a regular plaster. But in order for it to be effective, before gluing, it is important to plunge the hernia deep into the navel with your finger and tightly connect the edges of the umbilical ring to each other. Only after this, making sure that the child behaves calmly, and that the internal organs are not trapped, can you stick a plaster. If everything is done correctly, under the gluing the umbilical ring is closed, the organs that made up the hernial bag are immersed in the abdominal cavity.
The course usually takes from 10 to 30 days: during this time throughout the day the tummy should be glued. Removing the patch is recommended only while bathing a newborn.
Porofix - a pioneer development of Lohmann & Rauscher GmbH. Its use reduces the probability of incorrectly sticking of the navel at times.
Action Porofiks can be compared with the work of a conventional ... belt.
The product consists of two halves. For the treatment of hernia, you need to glue the narrower part on one side of the navel, and the wider part on the other, stepping back from the edges of the umbilical ring about 3 centimeters. Next, you need to pass a narrow part into the hole made in the wide half of the Porofix, and tighten the parts according to the type of belt so that the edges of the umbilical ring are closed. When this is done, the halves need to be fixed, overlapping each other.
Porofix was designed specifically for children of the first months of life, therefore, made of cotton. It does not contain allergenic latex and is easily peeled off when wet in water.
The course of treatment of newborns Porofix standard - from 10 to 30 days.
Reviews of parents of newborn children about the patch
Hernias in young children in most cases pass by themselves. But massage, gymnastics of newborns, as well as the wearing of plaster promote faster and more likely cure.
Despite some skepticism among doctors regarding the sticking of the navel, the parents' feedback on the use of both the special Porofix patch and the usual patch is positive. In most cases, the umbilical hernia is completely or significantly reduced in size after a short course of treatment.
How to use the umbilical hernia patch for newborns?
The birth of a child is always a joyful event. But sometimes happiness from birth is overshadowed by problems with the health of the baby. One such trouble is the umbilical hernia. The disease occurs in approximately 20% of babies. Among the existing methods of treatment occupies a special place plaster from umbilical hernia for newborns.
The disease manifests itself immediately from the first days of life or with time. After the umbilical cord remains out, the mother discovers a small knob on the baby’s belly in the navel. Its size ranges from a pea to a small apple. When pressed, the bulge “falls” with a characteristic sound. The volume of the umbilical hernia is directly related to the diameter of the umbilical ring. With a small volume, a hernia protrudes during crying, coughing or straining, and with a large volume, swelling is always visible.
The state of health of a newborn with a mild course of the disease practically does not deteriorate. The child may react to the weather, feel discomfort, be anxious. With the exacerbation of the disease, the child may lose his appetite, break the chair, begin to vomit.
Normally developed abdominal muscles in a child are quite elastic and do not allow the intestine to move from its place. If the umbilical ring is weak, then the internal organs (usually the intestines) are able to move and squeeze into the navel hole. This is how an umbilical hernia in newborns is formed.
The disease develops as a result:
- hereditary predisposition
- connective tissue underdevelopment (premature babies),
- pathological changes of the abdominal muscles,
- diseases that reduce the tone of muscle tissue (malnutrition, rickets).
The diagnosis will be made by a pediatrician observing the baby. In practice, a hernia in newborns can spontaneously close itself. Spontaneous healing can occur when the diameter of the umbilical ring is not more than 1.5 cm. If the size is larger than this, then the umbilical ring cannot close on its own. In this case, the pediatric surgeon will determine the need for surgery. The operation is done in extreme cases, when other methods of treatment had no effect.
Causes of development and treatment of femoral hernia
Conservative treatment of hernia are:
- Treatment by position (the child is spread on the stomach on a hard surface),
- use of children's bandages.
The most effective and gentle method of treatment for umbilical hernia in newborns is the application of the patch. This method is used according to the recommendation of the pediatrician or pediatric surgeon. The essence of the treatment consists in fixing the hernial bag in the altered position. On the navel of the child is attached compressive and fixing bandage. As a result, intestinal loops, trapped in the navel, come back. With the growth of the child, the anterior abdominal wall is strengthened, the functions of the body stabilize. As a result, the defect closes and disappears. Crucial in the treatment is the constant finding of a hernia in the altered state.
Ovarian exhaustion syndrome. IVF with SIA
Pregnant Sigrilin replied to Аленка_Палёнка's topic // to Reproductive Technologies: AI, IVF, ICSI
An umbilical hernia is a protrusion of the abdominal organs through the umbilical ring. Most often, the bulging exposed intestinal rings. In children, the area of protrusion reaches 10-15 mm, in adults - up to several centimeters.
The cause of the disease may be increasing pressure inside the abdominal cavity, the pressure of which is not able to hold back the muscles of the abdominal wall. The second reason is the stretching and thinning of the muscles of the umbilical ring.
- Hereditary predisposition.
- Anatomical features of the structure of the patient.
- Obesity or, on the contrary, excessive thinness.
- Frequent weightlifting, overwhelming physical labor.
- Long and frequent coughing or crying.
- Pathological constipation.
In some women, the umbilical hernia appears after pregnancy, which is understandable. Indeed, for several months, the pregnant woman constantly supported the unborn child with her muscles.
In the first stage of the disease, the hernia does not cause discomfort. Then the pain begins, accompanied by nausea.
The main symptom is a protrusion in the area of the navel, which becomes smaller or disappears in the supine state. If the patient saw that the umbilical ring is extended, this is also a sign of a hernia.
During physical work or severe cough, pain may occur in the navel. At later stages there is constipation, belching, problems with urination. All these signs are a reason to contact the surgeon.
Before I read on, I want to warn you. Most of the "treating" hernia that advertise on TV and sell in pharmacies is a complete divorce. At first it may seem that the cream and ointment help, but in reality they only remove the symptoms of the disease.
In simple words, you buy the usual anesthetic, and the disease continues to develop into a more difficult stage.
A common hernia can be a symptom of more serious diseases:
- Muscular dystrophy of the buttocks, thigh and lower leg,
- Pinch of the sciatic nerve,
- Seps - blood poisoning,
- Violation of the tone of the muscular wall of the blood vessels of the lower extremities,
- Horsetail syndrome, often resulting in paralysis of the lower limbs.
How to be? - you ask.
We studied a huge amount of materials and most importantly checked in practice the majority of hernia treatments. So, it turned out that the only drug that does not remove the symptoms, but really heals a hernia is Hondrexil.
This drug is not sold in pharmacies and it is not advertised on TV and on the Internet, and according to the federal program, every resident of the Russian Federation and the CIS can receive the package Hondreksil IS FREE!
So that you do not think that you are being sucked in by the next “miracle cream”, I will not describe what kind of effective drug it is. If interested, read all the information about Hondrexil yourself. Here is the link to the article.
In medical practice, to get rid of the pathology, you can use massage and swimming, which is carried out using a special circle. Gymnastic exercises will help to achieve positive dynamics. In the pharmacy, you can purchase a special plaster and bandage.
Porofiks - a popular method of getting rid of a hernia
The most serious complication of an umbilical hernia is its incarceration. At the same time, the pain increases dramatically, nausea and vomiting appear. Infringement leads to intestinal obstruction, death of the strangulated tissue, peritonitis. There is a threat to the life of the patient. Therefore, if the person suffering from a hernia has pain, it is no longer a question of treatment at home. It is necessary to call an ambulance.
If the umbilical hernia is still worried mostly only by appearance, you can resort to traditional medicine.
It is believed that if a child or an adult has an umbilical hernia, then the operation cannot be avoided. In fact, not everything is so scary - you can try a conservative treatment. Fortunately, there are many proven tools.
Features of the use of the patch from the hernia
Adhesive plaster can quickly and efficiently fix the bulge.To perform this process, you can use one of the following options:
- In no case can a simple adhesive plaster be used to treat this disease. Its regular use damages the skin. The situation is dangerous the occurrence of complications, which will be difficult to get rid of later.
- Some variants of foreign patches are allowed to use for the treatment of hernia. However, only a professional should stick them on the skin. Otherwise, negative consequences may occur.
- In any pharmacy, you can find a wide range of special patches that are specifically designed to eliminate the disease. Among them, Porofix is very popular. There are no allergenic components in its composition. To peel it off, just wet it with a small amount of warm water.
The navel problem cannot be fixed with just one patch. To improve the effect, it is additionally recommended to perform a massage.
The doctor will be able to properly seal the navel for the first time and show how it will be necessary to perform at home
The surgeon should examine the infant. If the first symptoms are present, parents should seek it.
Parents should perform the following simple manipulations:
We advise you to read: Navel treatment with omphalitis
- From a common coil it is necessary to cut a piece of about 7 centimeters long.
- First, the material should be fixed on one side.
- After this, it is necessary to correct the protruding part of the navel. To perform an action, you need to make a slight pressure.
- Fix the patch on the second side.
- The baby should be held with a plaster for at least four days. When this period is over, it can easily be removed in the process of swimming. To improve the condition of the skin should be applied to him a small amount of baby cream. The next patch can be glued only in two hours.
- The course of treatment must be continued for at least thirty days.
In pharmacies, you can also buy a surgical plaster, which in all its properties is suitable for the procedure.
Our readers write
Hello! My name is
Lyudmila Petrovna, I want to express my benevolence to you and your site.
Finally, I was able to get rid of a hernia. I lead an active lifestyle, live and enjoy every moment!
At the age of 45 I got a hernia. When I turned 58, complications began, I almost could not walk, and these terrible pains, you just can’t imagine how I was in pain, everything was very bad. What did not try, hospitals, clinics, procedures, expensive ointment. nothing helped.
Everything changed when my daughter gave me an article on the Internet. No idea how much I thank her for it. This article literally lifted me out of bed. Do not believe it, but in just 2 weeks I completely cured a hernia. The last few years have begun to move a lot, in spring and summer I go to the country every day, grow tomatoes and sell them on the market. Aunts wonder how I manage to do it, where all my strength and energy come from, they won’t believe that I am 62 years old.
Who wants to live a long and energetic life without a hernia, take 5 minutes and read this article.
Plasters for sealing umbilical hernia in newborns
In newborns, the phenomenon of umbilical hernia is often observed. This disease can not be called dangerous, because up to a certain age it can occur in almost every child.
The nature of umbilical hernia is quite simple and banal. The fact is that by nature in children there is a congenital weakness of the muscles of the abdominal cavity. In this regard, the inner part of the peritoneum, the omentum and the intestines can fall out in the region of the navel. This also occurs as a result of additional pressure inside the abdomen: coughing, prolonged crying, sneezing.
There are many types of abdominal hernias, but it is the umbilical that is most often observed in babies. Especially in the first month of life.
Do not worry if the doctor has established an umbilical hernia in infants. This disease is not dangerous and often passes on its own until the age of three. But this does not mean that you can stop paying attention to education.
A bulging in the navel may be impaired, and this can already have serious consequences. Therefore, it is important to monitor the hernia of the baby, and monitor its smallest changes.
Pinching a hernia can lead to the death of internal organs that have fallen into a clamp. In turn, this causes serious problems up to a lethal outcome. One of the signs of the infringement of hernias is dizziness, pain in the head and the inability to correct the growth.
You should know that in case of suspicion of infringement, in no case should you try to correct the hernia yourself. We need to urgently call an ambulance. Here roads are every hour. Infringement is removed by surgery. There is no other way.
To eliminate the dropping out of the intestines through the navel to avoid pinching, you can glue this area. A special patch will do. The most popular is Porofix.
One of the methods by which you can cure an umbilical hernia in a newborn is to seal it.
Treatment of babies with a similar problem is to keep the hernia constantly in the adjusted state. It is necessary to supplement it with special gymnastic exercises and massages.
If the navel is constantly in the correct position, it will facilitate the rapid healing of the opening of the umbilical ring, and the hernia will resolve more quickly.
The plaster for umbilical hernia can be bought at the pharmacy, but it is not recommended to seal the baby's navel on its own. It must be applied in a special way. Thus, the first experience should be taken from a doctor who can properly apply a plaster.
Porofix for umbilical hernia is suitable for children of any age. It is good that it is convenient in use, does not cause inconveniences for the child. And everyone knows how important the peace of the crumbs, because his nervous system is still only at the stage of formation.
In addition to the company Porofiks, there are also other patches that can be safely used for children. It is important that the plaster for the umbilical hernia does not cause allergies. It should consist only of natural materials, does not irritate the skin of the baby.
You can use the patch from the company Chikko and Hartman. They are also well established in the market for the treatment of hernia in children.
The Porofix patch, like others, helps the navel to assume the correct position. Only in this case, the umbilical hernia is likely to take place within a year.
The plaster consists of two parts. Both of them can drag on like a belt.
The inner wall of the patch has a layer of a special adhesive hypoallergenic substance. It is well attached to the skin of the baby, without irritating her.
After the umbilical ring of the crumbs is completely healed after birth and circumcision of the umbilical cord, it becomes suitable for applying Porofix. Until the wound is completely healed, it is impossible to glue the hernia.
Properly stick adhesive tape will help the doctor. If Porofix, Chikko, Hartman or any other patch is not properly glued, negative consequences may occur.
When gluing the adhesive plaster, the doctor first straightens the hernia, and then tightens the rectus muscles of the abdomen so as to form folds over the navel. After that, an adhesive tape of the type “Porofix” is glued on the umbilical hole, covered with folds.
The patch may be in the form of a belt or you can use just a wide patch. The width should be at least four centimeters.
Porofix is pasted on the tummy and lower back of the infant for at least ten days. Remove before this time it can not. After the termination of this term, the doctor again examines the navel of the infant and makes a decision about the continuation of treatment.
If the umbilical hernia is still there, then Porofix or another plaster is glued again for another ten days. In total, it is optimal to go through three sessions of applying the patch. After this treatment will be considered not very effective, regardless of the result.
There are cases when the patch is glued only on the navel. Then the folds over the ovary will not last ten days. Adhesive plaster will need to be changed every 2-3 days by the parents themselves. How to do this should show the attending physician.
The plaster can not be removed even while bathing crumbs. It is created from a special material that can withstand water procedures well and can last for several days.
It is important not to forget about regular massages for the child, even with a sticker.
We conducted an investigation, examined a bunch of materials, and most importantly, we checked the majority of hernia treatments. The verdict is:
All drugs gave only a temporary result, as soon as the treatment was stopped - the pain immediately returned.
Remember! There is NOT ANY MEANS that will help you to cure a hernia if you do not apply a complex treatment: diet, regimen, physical exertion, etc.
Modern means of hernia, which is replete with the entire Internet, also did not produce results. As it turned out - all this is a deception of marketers who earn huge money on the fact that you are led by their advertising.
The only drug that gave significant
the result is chondrexyl
You ask, why does everyone who suffers from a hernia in a moment did not get rid of it?
The answer is simple, Hondreksil is not sold in pharmacies and is not advertised on the Internet. And if they advertise - then this is a FAKE.
There is good news, we went to the manufacturers and share with you a link to the official site Hondreksil. By the way, manufacturers do not try to profit in public with sore joints; according to the promotion, each resident of the Russian Federation and the CIS can receive one package of the drug IS FREE!
Methods of treating umbilical hernia, tested by me
The pediatrician said that treatment can be conservative and operative. In any case, even with a sufficiently large hernia (more than 1.5-2 cm), begin with a conservative treatment.
- For example, using a patch. My little girl had no bulging, so I thought that this method would certainly help us. We purchased a hypoallergenic umbilical plaster for newborns and used it for several weeks, changing every 2-3 days. The method of applying a bandage showed a doctor, then I applied it myself. In parallel with this, we gave our daughter a special massage (they invited a specialist) and physical therapy, regularly laid out on the tummy. Unfortunately, this method did not help us, perhaps because the patch did not reliably hold the protruding navel inside the tummy.
- But I'm not one of those who give up after the first failure, so we bought umbilical cord for newborns . Semi-rigid retainer (pilot) of this belt is designed to hold the hernia sac in the abdominal cavity, which should lead to scarring of the umbilical ring. But, despite the fact that the belt we acquired was of very good quality (hypoallergenic, safe and eco-friendly), and I wore it according to all the rules, the elastic umbilical bandage did not want to hold onto my newborn daughter's tummy. He constantly moved down from the navel, and, therefore, could not perform its functions.
- When modern methods of struggle with hernia did not work, I remembered that earlier, when I appeared umbilical hernia in newborns, treatment consisted solely in the attachment of a coin to the navel. And, was-was not, I decided to use this "old-fashioned" method. We found an old 5 kopeck copper coin. (if there is no such money, you can take a coin of 5 rubles), disinfected, wrapped in several layers of gauze and attached with a plaster to the navel, gluing it crosswise. During bathing, we removed the coin, and before its next imposition, the navel was treated with a weak aqueous solution of iodine. And here she is joy, our baby's umbilical ring has been drawn out.
What should not be forgotten in the treatment of umbilical hernia in newborns
But I must say that during our entire “epic” we never forgot about the need to unswervingly follow the advice of doctors. All this time we:
- they controlled the navel themselves and constantly showed themselves to the pediatrician in order not to miss the incision of the hernia,
- tried to prevent the development of rickets, which exacerbates the condition of the hernia,
- I chose this food for me (and therefore for my daughter, because I was breastfeeding), which does not lead to increased gas separation and difficult chair, 10-15 times a day laid out the child on the tummy,
- they didn’t let their little girl scream for a long time, tried to immediately find out the cause of anxiety and eliminate it,
- Were not lazy to do a massage for our girl and did gymnastics with her.
Doctors say that by the age of three, an umbilical hernia in infants usually passes by itself. But I think that it is better not to stay idle. Be sure to try to do everything possible to help the child cope with this problem and prevent its aggravation, because the percentage of surgical intervention for untimely conservative treatment still exists.
Author: Victoria Valis
If the patient is diagnosed with a umbilical hernia, treatment can be carried out with the help of traditional medicine.
Folk ways of getting rid of the umbilical hernia is either ingestion of charges and infusions, or applying compresses to the sore area:
- In 1/5 cup of milk drop 6 drops of turpentine oil. On an empty stomach in the morning and at night do a couple of sips of this mixture. She also smear the navel. It is necessary to be treated within 10 days. If necessary, take a break for a week and repeat the course again.
- Finely chop the seeds of plantain and take them inside with 0.5 teaspoon 10 times a day. The course continues for 3 months. This treatment strengthens the umbilical ring. Hernia will gradually go away.
- Make a compress from baked onions. Cut the prepared onion into 2 parts and tie to the hernia for 3 hours, fixing the position of the onion with a belt or elastic bandage. Compresses are applied every day for a period of 2-3 months.
- If the pain is not strong, it is possible to remove it with salt. Sew a bag of thick fabric, put salt there (in total volume with a walnut), tie. Wet it with warm water and press down to the hernia. When the salt dries, the pain will go away. If the first time did not help, wet the bundle with salt again and repeat the procedure.
- High effectiveness in the treatment shows red clay. It contains many trace elements, thereby nourishing and restoring the navel muscles. Take a piece of red clay, soak, make a cake from it and attach it to the sore spot.
- In the people with success apply ash to treatment. In winter or spring, 15 cm tops of a cherry tree are broken off the tops, they dry these branches and burn them. Then pour a teaspoon of ash with a glass of boiling water. Stir the mixture and drink 1/3 cup before eating 3 times a day. Treatment is carried out within 1 month. There are reviews that this method also sometimes helps to avoid surgery.
- Another way in which you do not need to take anything inside - pouring. In a liter of cool water dissolve 1 tbsp. l vinegar. The solution is poured over the navel area twice a day. Treatment is carried out for 1 month.
- Crush larch crushed. 6 tbsp. l steam with 4 glasses of boiling water and let stand in a thermos for 8 hours. This mixture is taken in 250 ml 40 minutes before eating four times a day. Treatment continues for 2 weeks, then 1 week - a break and again the course of treatment. Such courses can be held up to 10.
- More gentle methods - compresses.Insist on oak bark or buy in a pharmacy, apply a cotton wool tampon soaked in it for 3-4 hours to a hernia.
- Another compress is to mix equal parts of honey, iodine, propolis and butter and apply the mixture to the hernia for 6 hours, then rinse the skin. Do you need from 1 to 2 months.
You can combine compresses with the reception of recommended herbs and mixtures inside.
If this treatment does not remove the umbilical hernia at all, then at least it will not allow the disease to develop.
If surgical intervention is contraindicated to the patient, in order to prevent the umbilical hernia from being injured, the doctor advises wearing a bandage. This is a special belt that prevents the internal organs from falling out into the hernial sac by closing the hernial orifice. They also prevent the increase and pinching of the hernia.
Bandages are matched in size. They are worn under outer clothing, securely hidden from prying eyes and do not cause any patient complexes. Bandages are convenient because:
- Made from elastic knitwear.
- Do not cause a patient with allergies.
- Do not contribute to sweating.
- Do not rub and do not press.
- They can be worn for a long time.
- They are easy to clean - they are easy to wash and do not need ironing.
There is no discomfort when wearing an anti-hernia bandage.
Massage and gymnastics
Patients who are contraindicated in the operation, the doctor will prescribe a massage as an effective means of eliminating the umbilical hernia. It will be convenient if the massage is done by a family member to the patient (and it is better if the professional) - made by yourself will not lead to such a high result.
Three basic movements:
- Stroking the abdomen in the hernia in a clockwise direction.
- Tingling painful area, but not strong.
- Rubbing the muscles in the area of the hernia.
If you combine massage with gymnastics, the effect will be even higher. Gymnastics is useful for patients who do not suffer from cardiac pathologies. It can not be done during periods of increased body temperature. It is impossible to strain too much, otherwise the effect will be negative.
The main exercises of physical therapy for the removal of umbilical hernia:
- Lying on your back, lift the chest, return to the starting position.
- Lying on your back, raise the pelvic part from the floor (bed), lower it.
- Lying on your back, make turns to the right and left.
- Do breathing exercises - raise your hands, inhale, lower your hands, exhale.
Special attention to the methods of eliminating the umbilical hernia without surgery should be paid to pregnant women. They need to wear a bandage.
A specialist in an outpatient clinic relieves hernia with a finger for young children, after which the skin around the navel is tightened and sealed with adhesive tape for several days. After 5–7 days, the procedure is repeated. Thus, the hernia is gradually relieved, but to strengthen the muscles and their ability to hold the internal organs in their proper place, more than one course of massage and charging must be carried out.
For adults suffering from umbilical hernia, there is a similar procedure. A ball of wool is laid on a flat surface. The patient lies on it so that the ball was under the navel. This is a painful procedure, but the pain will go away when the hernia cracks. So that it does not appear again, it is necessary to wear a bandage.
Laparoscopic hernioplasty is, in fact, an operation without a scalpel. Instead of incisions, only microscopic punctures are made. Through them with the help of modern medical equipment all the work is done.
Such an operation lasts only 1 hour. Therefore, the patient does not need to do anesthesia for a long time. Muscle tissue is practically not injured, so the pain is minimal. There are no scars on the body.
Recovery from laparoscopic hernioplasty takes 2 days. Hernia recurrence does not occur, because during this operation in the abdominal cavity put a synthetic patch.
In some cases, folk methods and massage with charging will not help. These include hernias:
- Repeatedly fallen (recurrent).
This also includes such cases:
- Elderly patient age.
- Obstruction of feces in the intestines.
- Intestinal infringement.
- Thinning of the umbilical skin leading to tearing of the hernial sac.
If the patient has sharp pains, blood in the feces, vomiting, constipation, you should immediately consult a doctor.
It is much easier to prevent the disease than to treat it later. The most effective means of preventing umbilical hernia is wearing a bandage. It is usually worn by pregnant women. But all other people, when doing physical work or weightlifting, should wear a supporting belt. Any surgeon will agree to write him out if you tell him about the constant need to lift weights or to do other physical labor.
Preventive measures include everyday exercise, strengthening the abdominal muscles. Do not do the exercises with the maximum load, it can hurt. Normal morning exercises will give a stunning effect.
Not bad from time to time to conduct massage courses with professional massage therapists, if there are no contraindications to such procedures.
Great importance is proper nutrition. Your weight must be controlled, to fight obesity. Excessive thinness, too, will not benefit.
Any surgical procedure or invasive examination is accompanied by pain and cannot be performed without anesthesia (literally, the word means “pain off”). All existing types of local anesthesia and general anesthesia are designed to alleviate the suffering of a person during surgical interventions and diagnostic studies, to save the patient from pain. Thus, they make it possible to treat severe diseases that cannot be eliminated without surgical assistance.
For the treatment of joints, our readers successfully use Artrade. Seeing the popularity of this tool, we decided to offer it to your attention.
Read more here ...
There are two large groups of anesthesia: general anesthesia and local anesthesia. The main difference between them is as follows. During general anesthesia, with the help of special medications, consciousness and pain sensitivity in the whole body are turned off, the person is in a state of deep sleep medication. Local anesthesia involves the elimination of pain sensitivity only in a specific area of the body (where invasive intervention is planned). Consciousness of the patient with such anesthesia saved.
Each type of anesthesia has its own strict indications and contraindications. Modern anesthesia techniques are very effective, but complex. Therefore, they are performed by specialists who have undergone a special training course, by anesthesiologists.
Types of local anesthesia
Small surgical interventions, as well as part of bulk surgeries, may not be performed under general anesthesia, but under local anesthesia. For example, spinal anesthesia (one type of local anesthesia) is used to eliminate painful feelings during childbirth, during cesarean section, and many other surgeries. It can also be used in patients who are contraindicated in general anesthesia, the elderly.
Depending on the location of the blockade of pain sensitivity, these types of local anesthesia are distinguished:
- Spinal anesthesia (SA) - pain is eliminated by blocking the sensitivity at the level of the roots of the spinal cord by introducing anesthetic (drugs for local anesthesia) into the subarachnoid space (between the arachnoid and soft sheaths of the spinal cord where spinal roots are free).
- Epidural - pain disappears due to the blockade of transmission of nerve impulses at the level of the spinal roots by injecting an anesthetic drug into the epidural space (the gap between the solid membrane of the spinal cord and the spinal canal).
- Combined spinal-epidural anesthesia — when the two procedures described above are performed simultaneously.
- Conductor - pain is eliminated by blocking the transmission of nerve impulses at the level of individual nerve trunks or plexuses.
- Infiltrative - pain relief is achieved by infiltrating the soft tissues of anesthetics due to the blockade of pain receptors and small nerve branches.
- Contact - anesthesia by irrigation or application of local anesthetics on the skin or mucous membrane.
Each of these types of local analgesia has its own indications and methods of conducting. Spinal and epidural anesthesia can be used for complex surgical interventions. With their help, you can turn off the sensitivity at different levels (depending on the injection site of the anesthetic). Other types of regional anesthesia are used for smaller operations and diagnostic procedures.
Below we will talk about the features of this type of local anesthesia, like spinal anesthesia.
Indications and Contraindications
Spinal anesthesia is used in such cases:
- surgery below the navel,
- gynecological and urological operations,
- surgical manipulation of the lower limbs, for example, the treatment of varicose veins,
- perineal surgery,
- pain relief during childbirth and cesarean section
- as an alternative to general anesthesia in case of contraindications to the latter (advanced age, somatic pathology, allergy to drugs for anesthesia, etc.).
Contraindications to this type of analgesia are absolute and relative.
- patient failure
- blood diseases that are accompanied by increased bleeding, use of anticoagulants before surgery (high risk of bleeding),
- inflammatory lesions of the skin in the place of the alleged puncture,
- the patient’s serious condition (shock, acute blood loss, cardiovascular, pulmonary insufficiency, sepsis, etc.),
- allergic to local anesthetics, which are used for analgesia,
- infectious diseases of the nervous system (meningitis, arachnoiditis, encephalitis, myelitis),
- intracranial hypertension,
- exacerbation of herpes viral infection,
- severe degrees of cardiac arrhythmias and blockades.
- spinal deformity, which increases the risk of complications and makes anesthesia dangerous to life and health,
- predicted blood loss during a future operation,
- severe degree of fetal distress when choosing a method of delivery,
- signs of an infectious disease, fever,
- some diseases of the National Assembly (epilepsy, radiculitis with radicular syndrome, vascular lesions of the brain, polio, chronic headache, multiple sclerosis),
- emotional instability of the patient, mental disorders (persons who cannot lie still while surgeons perform an operation),
- stenosis of the aortic valve of the heart,
- therapy with acetylsalicylic acid and other antiplatelet agents (risk of bleeding),
- spinal injury in history
- possible expansion of the scope of the operation and lengthening the time of its execution, for example, surgical removal of tumors, when the surgeon’s tactics may vary depending on what he saw during the revision on the operating table,
Advantages and disadvantages
Each type of anesthesia has its advantages and disadvantages. Consider the pros and cons of spinal anesthesia.
- analgesia comes instantly
- the effect of the medicines on the child in case of anesthesia during labor or cesarean section is completely excluded,
- this type of anesthesia additionally provides muscle relaxation, which facilitates the work of the surgeon,
- a smaller dose of local anesthetics, unlike epidural anesthesia,
- the needle is very thin, which minimizes damage to the tissues of the spinal cord,
- minimal risk of drugs entering the systemic circulation and side effects such as toxic poisoning with local anesthetics,
- no breathing problems, because the patient is conscious, and anesthesia does not affect the respiratory center of the brain,
- during surgery, the surgeon and the anesthesiologist can communicate with the patient, which will significantly speed up the diagnosis in case of any complications,
- The technique is easier to perform than in the case of epidural anesthesia, which minimizes the risk of adverse effects after analgesia.
- a sharp drop in blood pressure during spinal analgesia (in order to prevent this, the patient is preliminarily injected with drugs that increase blood pressure),
- limited time of anesthetic effect (if it is possible to add an additional dose of anesthetic with epidural anesthesia, in the case of spinal anesthesia, drugs are injected once, and in the case something goes wrong, the patient is immediately transferred to general anesthesia, although today there are anesthetics, which are about 6 hours),
- high risk of developing neurological complications, such as severe headaches.
Local anesthetics and a number of drugs are used for spinal analgesia, which are used as additives to anesthetics (adjuvants).
Theoretically, any local anesthetic can be used for SA, but today preference is given to the following drugs.
It is considered the “gold standard” of local anesthesia. It is an anesthetic of medium duration. The main disadvantage is the short and unpredictable duration of the anesthetic effect (from 45 to 90 minutes).
Among the disadvantages are the neurotoxicity of the drug, but this applies only to its concentrated solutions (5%), if 2% lidocaine is used, there is no toxic effect on the nervous system. Among the advantages of using lidocaine for intrathecal administration, it is possible to note the rapid onset of action (5 minutes after injection), pronounced muscle relaxation, low cost, and wide availability of anesthetic.
This is the most common drug for SA worldwide. It has a long-lasting analgesic effect (90-240 minutes). Of the main drawbacks of the drug, cardiotoxicity should be noted, but the use of low concentrations (0.5% solution) and a small dose of anesthetic with spinal administration reduce such complications to a minimum. The drug is more expensive than lidocaine, and it is more difficult to get it.
The action of bupivacaine begins 5-8 minutes after the injection, is characterized by a low level of the motor block (low degree of muscle relaxation).
This is the drug of the last generation of local anesthetics, which was created a quarter of a century after bupivacaine (1963). A 0.75% solution of ropivacaine is used for SA. The time of onset of analgesia ranges from 10–20 minutes, the duration of action is 2–6 hours. It does not have a cardiotoxic effect when administered intrathecally. During SA, ropivacaine can be used to induce a controlled motor block, which cannot be done when using bupivacaine. Of the main disadvantages, it is worth noting the high cost and low availability of medicines.
Only the anesthesiologist at the stage of preparation for surgery can answer the question which drug is better to choose. The local anesthetic is selected, first of all, depending on the type of surgical intervention, its intended duration, individual characteristics and financial capabilities of the patient.
Opioids (morphine, fentanyl), adrenaline and clonidine can be used as adjuvants during spinal anesthesia.
The main task of the anesthesiologist during the execution of the SA is the introduction of a local anesthetic into the subarachnoid space of the spinal cord that surrounds the spinal cord is filled with liquor. It is here that the spinal cord roots are freely located, which must be blocked using a local anesthetic. To get into the subarachnoid space, the anaesthesiologist needs to pierce the skin, subcutaneous fatty tissue, a series of vertebral ligaments, the epidural space, the solid and spider cord with a needle.
For a successful SA, the patient should be in the correct position - while sitting with the spine bent as much as possible, the head should rest with its chin on the chest, the arms are bent at the elbows and are on the knees. You can also use the patient's position lying on your side with your spine bent and the knees drawn up to your stomach.
Important! When performing spinal anesthesia remain immobilized. This will reduce the time of the procedure, reduce the risk of some complications.
The choice of the injection site is done by the doctor. At the same time he carefully feels the lumbar spine and is looking for the necessary guidelines. As a rule, SAs are performed between 2, 3, 4, 5 lumbar vertebrae. The best place is the interspinous gap between 2 and 3 lumbar vertebrae. Anatomical features of the structure of the spine, the presence of deformities, injuries, and history of operations affect the choice of the injection site.
After marking the place of introduction of anesthetic, the doctor carefully handles the hands, as the SA passes under strict conditions aseptics and antiseptics. The skin of the patient at the puncture site is also treated with antiseptics.
For anesthesia, you need 2 syringes with anesthetic. The first is used for infiltrative anesthesia of soft tissues in the way of introducing a spinal needle so that it does not hurt. The second contains a dose of the drug, which must be inserted with a special needle into the subarachnoid space.
After infiltrative anesthesia of the puncture site, the doctor injects a long (13 cm) and thin (1 mm diameter) spinal needle. With the introduction of this needle, the back hurts a little, so sometimes anesthesiologists do not carry out preliminary infiltrative anesthesia.
The doctor slowly pushes the needle through all the tissues. When the dura mater is punctured (a very dense membrane), a “failure” is felt and then the needle is not inserted. This means that the end of the needle is located in the subarachnoid space.
Then the doctor removes mandrins from the needle (a thin metal guide that tightly closes the lumen of the spinal needle) and makes sure that the instrument is positioned correctly. At the same time, droplets of a clear cerebrospinal fluid are extracted from the cannula, which fill the subarachnoid space.
Then the doctor attaches a syringe with an anesthetic to the needle and injects the required dose of the drug. The needle is slowly removed, the puncture site is sealed with a sterile bandage. After that, the patient is placed on the operating table for surgery.