What the human spine cannot do - it can carry a weight of 150 kilograms and more, it can curl up in the “wheel”, which gymnasts demonstrate, it can withstand a marathon race.
It would seem that its possibilities are inexhaustible. Unfortunately, this is not the case.
Unreasonable loads and shameless operation will necessarily lead to wear of the vertebrae and subsidence of the disks. Then the diagnosis of osteochondrosis is stated.
This is the beginning of a new life with disabilities. And only his back would hurt, but he is a great master to dress up for systemic diseases.
That heart attack "simulates", then cholecystitis "pretends", and even an attack of appendicitis "organizes". Here we will talk about these features.
Where does the shooting come from?
At the time of osteochondrosis, the elasticity and depreciation of the spinal discs decreases significantly. At the moment of acute manifestation of pathology, the vertebrae crack and erase. After that, the fibrous ring in the spine begins to bulge strongly. A patient may have a hernia. Damaged vertebrae begin to squeeze the nerve processes. This causes severe inflammation. It can lead to pain in different parts of the body, not only in the spine. Tingling and pain in the legs can often be noted.
Remember that osteochondrosis affects the nerve endings of the vertebrae and causes such unpleasant symptoms:
- Joint stiffness,
- Chest discomfort,
- Heart spasm.
Doctors say that 15-20% of patients referring to a gastroenterologist for abdominal pain, turn to the wrong doctor and have to redirect them to a neuropathologist or vertebrologist.
It turns out that the gastrointestinal tract is in order, and the stomach can hurt with osteochondrosis. Moreover, the irradiation of pain depends on the affected segment of the spine:
- If 5-7 thoracic vertebrae are affected, the pain due to this occurs in the stomach, and may be accompanied by heartburn, constipation or diarrhea. All signs of gastritis on the face. Abdominal pain can also appear on the right or in the left hypochondrium, simulating a problem with the pancreas or with the liver and gallbladder. As a rule, only after excluding all alleged diseases of the abdominal organs, after a thorough diagnosis, attention is paid to the problem with the spine. It happens that they are treated by a gastroenterologist for a long time and unsuccessfully before they think that the root of the problem is in degenerative-dystrophic changes in the thoracic spine.
- The defeat of the 8–9 vertebra of the thoracic region provokes pain in the duodenum, suggesting a duodenal ulcer.
- With the defeat of the lumbar spine, the pain may be given in the lower abdomen. And then there is a need to differentiate it with pain during an inflamed appendix. Sometimes the problem with the spine in the lumbar segment causes pain in the lower abdomen, in the groin region it pulls lower, suggesting inflammation of the appendages (for women, of course). Then it can be decided whether adnexitis is or debilitated osteochondrosis, only a doctor can, due to additional symptoms, such as fever, pain during urination, menstrual disorders, etc.
Fortunately for modern people, the diagnosis of osteochondrosis is now at a very high level. And if there is a suspicion that abdominal pains are associated with a violation of the spinal column, then it is necessary to undergo a diagnosis:
Sometimes one type of study is enough to determine that there are the following changes in the spinal column:
- Flattening of the intervertebral discs,
- The presence of osteophytes or osteoarthritis of the facet joints,
- Various types of spinal deformities: kyphosis, lordosis, scoliosis.
In any case, accurate diagnosis allows you to assign adequate treatment.
In acute form, the following will be mandatory:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs orally or by injection to relieve pain and inflammation. These can be NSAIDs of the new generation, which have incomparably fewer side effects than the same group of drugs of the old generation. These include Nise, Movalis, Nimesil, Olfen.
- Significantly accelerate the recovery of physiotherapy: electrophoresis, UHF, magnetic therapy, laser therapy.
- Massage will be very useful, but only after an acute period. It will help relax muscles, rid them of hypertonicity caused by the clamping of nerve endings.
- And, as the completion of the complex treatment, a complex of gymnastics will be proposed, designed to strengthen the muscles, which will help keep the spinal column in the correct position.
In conclusion, let me give you some useful tips that can help you get rid of back pain:
- It is usually not recommended to sleep on your stomach, but if you have a backache, then sleeping on your stomach is simply indicated. This relieves the spine and relaxes the muscles that support it. Try it and see for yourself. Pain comes to naught. The main thing is to keep the body exactly parallel to the floor.
- Try each morning to start with a simple exercise: stand up straight, belly pull in. While inhaling, we bulge the abdomen, while exhaling we press it under the ribs, working as a diaphragm. 3-5 minutes of such diaphragmatic breathing with regular performance can significantly improve the condition of your spine.
And if after that you still make a complex of therapeutic exercises, the spine will tell you “thank you” for the absence of pain.
A selection of my useful materials on the health of the spine and joints, which I recommend you to look at:
Also look at a lot of useful additional materials in my communities and accounts on social networks:
Denial of responsibility
The information in the articles is intended solely for general information and should not be used for self-diagnosis of health problems or for medical purposes. This article is not a substitute for medical advice from a doctor (neurologist, therapist). Please consult your doctor first to know exactly the cause of your health problem.
Discomfort peculiar at the time of chondrosis in the thoracic region. This is not accidental, because the nerve endings in the abdominal region are closely connected with this spinal section. Doctors noted that the disease brings discomfort in the area of the stomach and liver. An attack occurs at the moment when the spinal roots are compressed.
Experts advise to pay attention to adverse symptoms that occur along with abdominal pain with osteochondrosis:
- Difficulty digesting food,
- Gas formation,
- Intestinal problems
Patients often complain that the pain in the stomach is aching and cutting. It often captures the entire stomach area.
In osteochondrosis in the thoracic region, the nerve roots in the spine are damaged. The pain begins to appear with sharp movements. Doctors noted that problems with the eighth vertebrae would give a backache to the duodenum zone. At the time of coughing and sneezing, with prolonged sitting, the discomfort in the abdomen becomes stronger. Also, doctors do not recommend making corners and bends, so as not to cause another attack.
If osteochondrosis captures the seventh and ninth roots in the thoracic region, then symptoms of cholecystitis may occur. Painful sensations will occur on the right in the hypochondrium.
Vertebral abdominal pains often become the result of lumbar osteochondrosis, when they give up from the spine or immediately occur at the location of a particular organ (stomach, intestines, gall bladder, etc.). On which part of the skin unpleasant sensations are projected, depends on the affected nerve branches. Local back pain can be sharp - in the form of lumbago (lumbago) - or aching and prolonged (lumbodynia). If the pulling sensations extend to the lower extremities, then they talk about lumbar ischialgia associated with the involvement of the sciatic nerve.
In addition to pain syndrome, compression radiculopathy in osteochondrosis has other signs. They make it possible to assume almost unmistakably pathological changes in the spine, since they speak of a violation of sensory, motor, or vegetative innervation. These include the following:
- Numbness, tingling, burning skin.
- Decreased sensitivity.
- Changes in reflex reactions (tendon).
- Decreased strength of certain muscle groups.
- Skin manifestations: pallor, "marbling", excessive sweating, hair loss.
The nerve branches of the roots also go to the sympathetic trunk, which is responsible for the functional activity of the internal organs. Therefore, with osteochondrosis, such additional symptoms are possible:
This creates certain problems in the differential diagnosis of non-vertebral diseases, since the malfunction of one system or another can be of an organic nature. But local signs in the form of tenderness of paravertebral points, tension in the muscles of the back and smoothness of physiological curves (lordosis) also speak in favor of osteochondrosis.
When osteochondrosis worries not only the back, but often there are pains extending into the stomach, creating a false impression of a possible damage to the internal organs.
Diseases of the stomach and intestines
Although the osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine can hurt the stomach, it is imperative that the pathology of the digestive system be excluded. This applies not only acute, but also chronic conditions: gastritis, cholecystitis, pancreatitis, colitis, etc. Inflammatory changes in the mucous membrane lead to irritation of nerve receptors, which provokes spasm of smooth muscles, which is the main source of pain in the gastrointestinal tract. At the same time, there is a clear connection with dietary errors or meal times. And the localization of discomfort is determined by the affected organ.
Functional disorders, consistently following pain, are included in the concept of dyspeptic syndrome. It consists of the following features:
A special place in the diagnostics is occupied by the “acute abdomen”, which cannot be left without first aid, because otherwise there is a serious risk to the health and life of the patient.
Urinary System Diseases
If there is pain in the lower back, and the symptoms of osteochondrosis are absent, then you should think about kidney diseases. Glomeruli and pyelonephritis are accompanied by aching and pulling sensations in the back below the ribs, which will be almost constant, increasing during local tapping (Pasternatsky symptom) when running or jolting. Often there are other violations:
- Discoloration of urine (turbid, bloody).
- Rezi and burning sensation when urinating.
- Temperature rises.
Dysuric disorders often accompany urinary tract diseases, among which the most common cystitis. In addition to the already mentioned symptoms, patients feel an incomplete emptying of the bladder or difficulty urinating. And the pain is localized in the lower abdomen - in the suprapubic zone.
Diseases of the kidneys and bladder are accompanied by a rather characteristic symptoms, which allows them to be distinguished from the pathology of the spine.
When a woman has a lower abdominal pain, the possibility of the occurrence of an inflammatory pathology of the genital sphere is considered first of all, and only then they go to other reasons. Adnexitis and endometritis occurs acutely or chronically, which determines the severity of symptoms. In most cases, the following symptoms are characteristic:
- Vaginal discharge.
- Disorders of the menstrual cycle.
- Problems conceiving a child.
In addition, there may be urination disorders like cystitis, discomfort or pain during sexual contact. The general condition is often disturbed: the temperature rises, weakness appears. A complicated course of acute inflammation may result in local or widespread peritonitis.
Acute Coronary Syndrome
Despite the fact that the heart is located in the chest, but it can be a source of pain in the abdomen. First of all, it happens in acute coronary syndrome - heart attack and unstable angina - when the back wall of the myocardium is covered with ischemia. Then the pain is felt not only behind the sternum, but also in the left hypochondrium (epigastriums). However, other characteristics of pain do not change:
- Pressing, squeezing, stinging.
- Moderate or strong.
- Lasts up to 10-15 minutes (with angina).
- Increased during physical exertion or nervous stress.
- Nitroglycerin can not be removed (with a heart attack).
- Accompanied by anxiety, shortness of breath, pressure fluctuations.
Atypical localization of pain suggests that an abdominal variant of acute coronary syndrome is developing. And to recognize it, you need to have high qualifications. A delay in making a diagnosis is fraught with complications: cardiogenic shock, arrhythmias, aneurysms.
Oddly enough, the stomach can ache with coronary heart disease. This is observed with the defeat of the lower and posterior walls of the myocardium.
Pneumonia and pleurisy
In case of lower lobe pneumonia and pleurisy, pain can be given to the upper abdomen, which creates a completely different picture. But signs of disturbances in the respiratory system do not disappear anywhere - they will still consist of the following components:
Pain is associated with breathing and coughing, and with pleurisy they are reduced by squeezing the affected half of the chest (for example, lying on the side of the same name).
Infectious inflammation provokes a rise in body temperature and other intoxication phenomena that will not occur in osteochondrosis.
Differential diagnosis of vertebral pain can not do without additional methods of research: laboratory and instrumental. For each pathology there is a plan of measures approved at the legislative level, which doctors follow. Depending on the intended disease, the following procedures may be prescribed:
- Radiography of the spine or lungs.
- Magnetic resonance (computed) tomography.
- Ultrasound of the kidneys, digestive tract or heart organs.
- Gastro and irrigoscopy.
- General blood analysis.
- Biochemical markers of inflammation and myocardial necrosis.
Often, one patient exhibits signs of osteochondrosis in the presence of associated diseases. Then you need to assess the severity of the changes and understand what pathology has caused the pain. Allied specialists will help the therapist with this: vertebrologist, gastroenterologist, cardiologist, gynecologist, nephrologist, pulmonologist.
To answer the question whether it is possible for an osteochondrosis to hurt the stomach or other parts of the abdomen, one needs to undergo a full examination by a doctor. Only in this way will the origin of the symptoms become clear - vertebral or related to the pathology of the internal organs.
Discomfort in the abdomen
They appear with a disease of the lumbar and thoracic spine. The attack occurs at the time of displacement of the intervertebral discs. Doctors noted that thoracic osteochondrosis causes a chamber to the right in the lower abdomen. These symptoms are often confused with appendix inflammation.In the latter case, a high temperature should appear.
Without diagnosing pain in the lower abdomen can also be confused with colitis, gastritis and algomenorrhea. Osteochondrosis causes similar symptoms of these diseases:
- Lingering pains
- Stitching pains in the right side of the abdomen,
How to treat this symptom?
To get rid of discomfort, you need to decide on a comprehensive treatment of osteochondrosis. He may appoint an experienced specialist after the diagnosis. Remember that the backache will pass only after you eliminate the muscle spasm. You also need to cope with inflammation and relax the nerve endings in the vertebrae.
Remember that before starting treatment you need to pass tests and undergo a diagnosis. After him, the doctor will be able to determine the cause of such an unpleasant symptom. ATPerhaps discomfort caused not osteochondrosis, but another disease. After the results of the examination, only a specialist can prescribe a course of procedures and a set of drugs. If you follow all the recommendations, you will be able to cope with osteochondrosis and forget about abdominal pain.
The complex treatment must include:
- Medications that improve blood circulation,
- Warming creams and gels,
- Massage of the affected area
- Special treatment baths,
- Complex reflexology.
Now you know if the stomach can suffer from osteochondrosis. We told why such uncomfortable sensations arise and how to distinguish them from other diseases. Now you know that you can get rid of painful attacks only by complex treatment of osteochondrosis. It is important to undergo an examination in time for the doctor to determine the main cause of such a symptom. Then you can begin a competent and effective treatment, which in the shortest possible time will save you from unpleasant sensations.
The mechanism of the appearance of pain
With osteochondrosis, a decrease in elasticity and damping qualities of intervertebral discs occurs. As the disease progresses, cracks appear in the affected area of the spine, and the fibrous ring begins to bulge. Often with this disease, hernias form. Deformed vertebrae traumatize the nerve processes, which leads to their inflammation and severe back pain, which can be given to other parts of the body. For example, when a spinal nerve is injured in the lumbar region, pain may be localized in the foot. Often they are accompanied by a tingling and numbness of the lower limbs.
With the defeat of the cervical spine, headache, facial pain, numbness of the fingers, limited mobility of the joints occur. The symptoms of thoracic osteochondrosis are in the manifestation of pain in the back, chest, between the shoulder blades, in the heart, as well as in the stomach and intestines. The specificity of pain in the lumbar form of the disease is characterized by the appearance of unpleasant sensations when bending and turning the back, along the outer and inner thighs, lower legs, back of the leg, as well as in the gluteus muscles. Increased exercise only increases the pain.
Why does abdominal pain appear in osteochondrosis?
Such discomfort occurs because the nervous support of the organs located in the thoracic and abdominal cavities is connected with the thoracic spine. Therefore, sometimes with osteochondrosis, the pain can spread to the stomach, stomach, pancreas, liver. As a rule, this occurs due to the infringement of the spinal roots. In this case, the vessels are affected, there is a spasm, irritation of the nerve and even its paralysis.
Abdominal pain with osteochondrosis may be accompanied by heartburn, indigestion, disorder of stool. Such patients are often mistakenly treated for gastritis, while it is necessary to examine the spinal column in the region of 5 and 7 thoracic vertebrae.
It is important to note that abdominal pain in osteochondrosis is often of an aching, cutting nature. They can be shingles, spilled or localized in the region of the stomach, pancreas, right hypochondrium, lower abdomen.
When chest roots are affected, pain in the upper part of the stomach is aggravated by movement. If pathological processes captured the 8th and 9th vertebrae, then the painful sensations manifest themselves in the duodenum region. Especially often amplified when sneezing, turning the body, bending, long sitting.
A lesion on the right of 7, 8 and 9 thoracic roots leads to the development of symptoms of cholecystitis. In this case, the pain is felt in the right hypochondrium and increases with movement. At the same time, the thoracic and cervical osteochondrosis can provoke not only painful sensations in the abdomen, but also diarrhea, constipation, gas formation, disturbance of intestinal motility.
How to get rid of pain?
For effective treatment of pain in osteochondrosis, it is important to conduct a comprehensive treatment of the disease. Pain can be relieved only after the elimination of muscle spasm, inflammation and weakening of the compression of nerve endings. To do this, use medications (painkillers, warming, improves blood circulation drugs), as well as physiotherapy, reflexology, massage, therapeutic baths.
Therefore, in the event of abdominal pain, it is important to undergo a comprehensive examination with mandatory radiological diagnosis of intervertebral discs. Based on the results obtained, the doctor will be able to find out whether the cause of pain in the abdomen is due to osteochondrosis or is of a different nature. And only after that the doctor can prescribe the necessary treatment.
Take care of yourself, be attentive to your health and do not get sick!
Why does the stomach hurt?
It is necessary to figure out whether the stomach can hurt with osteochondrosis, and what causes this condition. After all, treatment varies with spinal pathology and organic diseases of internal organs.
Innervation disorders result from compression of the nerve roots by the vertebrae. Manifestations are quite diverse: reduced sensitivity, motor functions at the site of injury. The main symptom is pain. It occurs in the spine, extends along the nerves, can give in the stomach, limbs. Problems with innervation further affect the work of the digestive system. There is discomfort in the stomach, intestines, heartburn.
There is some pattern of onset of symptoms. With the defeat of the middle part of the thoracic region there are violations of the stomach, duodenum, lower part - the pain gives to the umbilical region, right hypochondrium. Unpleasant sensations in the abdomen indicate a pathological process in the lumbar region.
Can osteochondrosis hurt the stomach? The answer is simple: maybe. But the nature of the pain, duration, time of occurrence has some distinctive features. When interviewing a patient, attention should be paid to the following symptoms:
- in most cases, the pain is sharp, shooting, much less often - aching, dull,
- increases with movements, bends of the body. For differential diagnosis, you must ask the patient to sit down, bend over. If the condition worsens, it indicates osteochondrosis,
- uncomfortable posture, prolonged stay in the same position, even lying down, leads to pain,
- the patient cannot fully sneeze. Deep breath, cough accompanied by unpleasant stabbing in the spine, along the ribs,
- stomach problems are not associated with eating,
- there is a protective mechanism - tension of the back muscles,
- further reduces the sensitivity on the skin of the trunk, limbs,
- if motor fibers are damaged, paresis and paralysis are possible.
The above symptoms are characteristic of diseases of the spine. Based on the clinical picture only, the diagnosis is difficult to make. To confirm it is necessary to examine the internal organs, eliminate organic pathology. After all, abdominal pain is a common symptom that occurs in many diseases.
In both osteochondrosis and peptic ulcer, severe, cutting pain in the abdomen can occur. It is necessary to distinguish these two diseases. If we assume that the patient has dystrophic changes in the spine, and do not begin treatment of a peptic ulcer, life-threatening complications will arise. Distinctive features of the pathology of the stomach are listed below:
- epigastric pain (upper abdomen) is associated with food intake: occurs after eating, on an empty stomach or at night,
- decreases after taking antacids, antispasmodics,
- characteristic feature - the presence of exacerbations in spring and autumn,
- additionally, the patient complains of nausea, vomiting, heartburn, belching,
- painful sensations peaking when pressing on the abdomen in the epigastrium.
It must be remembered that the development of pancreatitis, cholecystitis is associated with improper diet, eating fatty, fried foods, alcohol. For osteochondrosis, this is not characteristic. The most common symptoms of diseases of the pancreas, gallbladder include:
- the pain has a shingles nature or is localized in the right hypochondrium,
- after vomiting, relief does not occur,
- there are violations of the chair: alternating diarrhea with constipation or the predominance of one of the options
- condition worsens when eating fatty foods.
It is necessary to clearly distinguish between pain in osteochondrosis and inflammation of the appendix. After all, appendicitis is a surgical pathology, late diagnosis and treatment lead to the development of complications, in advanced cases - to death.
Inflammation of the appendix is accompanied by nausea, vomiting, fever. The pain is first diffuse, then moves to the right iliac region.
For differential diagnosis, it is necessary to check the symptoms of peritoneal irritation: when pressing in the lower abdomen to the right, there is pain, when released, it increases dramatically. For osteochondrosis the above symptoms are not typical.
In women, the difficulty is to distinguish the inflammatory process in the fallopian tubes from dystrophic changes in the lumbar region. Patients complain of pain that covers the lower abdomen, gives to the spine. Similar manifestations has osteochondrosis. Therefore, it is necessary to pay attention to additional symptoms: with adnexitis, the temperature rises, pain is observed during urination, menstrual disorders.
The main role in the diagnosis of osteochondrosis is played by instrumental and laboratory research methods. With the help of x-rays, computed or magnetic resonance imaging, dystrophic changes of the spine can be detected. The most important signs of osteochondrosis include:
- reduction of intervertebral fissure,
- resize vertebrae
- presence of bone growths, curvature of the spine.
To exclude organic diseases of internal organs, the doctor prescribes additional diagnostic methods. First of all, the patient gives a blood test, where hemoglobin, leukocytes, and soya cells are determined. The increase in these indicators indicates the presence of inflammation. Biochemical research allows to determine bilirubin, protein, kidney and liver enzymes. If the values are significantly higher than normal, this indicates a disease of the corresponding organ.
For diagnosis it is necessary to conduct the following studies:
- Ultrasound of the abdominal cavity, small pelvis,
- gastroscopy is indicated to assess the condition of the esophagus, stomach, duodenum,
- colonoscopy is used to examine the colon,
- magnetic resonance or computed tomography.
The tactics of the patient is aimed at identifying and eliminating the causes of the disease. To reduce pain in osteochondrosis, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are shown in short courses. Prolonged use only aggravates the situation, increasing the pain in the abdomen. The doctor may prescribe a massage, physiotherapy, wearing corsets during the recovery period.
1 Can the stomach ache in osteochondrosis, and why?
In rare cases, osteochondrosis can affect nerve endings running along the abdomen. But some patients feel pain not under the skin, but directly in the stomach or intestines.
It would seem that there is no connection between osteochondrosis and such pains. In fact, pathologies are indirectly related, since in osteochondrosis, there is often a violation of the functions of the autonomic nervous system.
Types of spinal column diseases
She is responsible for analyzing the state of the internal organs (one of her functions), and when problems are detected, reports this with various signals. For example, if the gastrointestinal tract is damaged, the digestive organs start to hurt. With problems in the muscles, they begin to twitch.
In osteochondrosis, this system works asynchronously, and sends false signals in the form of pain in the lower or middle of the abdomen, in the form of spasms and "running" pain / flies under the skin.
In the second case, osteochondrosis itself leads to destabilization of the muscular system of the trunk, causing burning and painful sensations in the muscles. Most often, the patient "pulls" the stomach, a burning sensation is felt (often this symptom affects the lower abdomen), there are moderate cramps of the abdominal muscles.
to menu ↑
1.1 What osteochondrosis can cause pain?
There are two causes of painful sensations in the area of the stomach in osteochondrosis: disruption of the vegetative nervous system and destabilization of the muscular system of the body. Each cause is characterized by a certain localization of osteochondrosis.
Lower abdominal pain with osteochondrosis
What does it mean? For example, in 90% of cases, osteochondrosis of the cervical and cervico-thoracic spine is involved in the disruption of the autonomic nervous system. Usually for violations of its work requires several years of flow of the cervicothoracic osteochondrosis.
If we talk about the destabilization of the muscular system, usually the cause is lumbar osteochondrosis (less often chest). Problems with the muscular system may appear already in the early stages of the disease.
It turns out that abdominal pain can occur with osteochondrosis of any localization. However, the most common cause is a lesion of the cervical and lumbar spine (90-95% of cases).
In general, this symptom is very rare, along with the same atypical symptoms as fever or nausea / vomiting. Therefore, doctors are often engaged in an extra diagnosis in an attempt to determine the cause of such symptoms.
to menu ↑
2 Where and what exactly can hurt?
Abdominal pain in osteochondrosis can be different in type, but they are never strong or painful.
When osteochondrosis may be pain in the stomach
Localization of abdominal pain in osteochondrosis:
- Painful sensations are often not localized in the center of the peritoneum, but in the right or left side. If against the background of osteochondrosis there is a curvature of the posture, then the pain is usually localized in the side on the side of the curved arc of the spine.
- Painful sensations can be irradiating. For example, in osteochondrosis of the lower back, pain is localized in the lumbosacral region of the spine, but it can “give” to the abdomen.
- In cervical osteochondrosis, painful sensations can be observed in the esophagus (recalling severe heartburn), and they can occur with moderate intensity, leading to a spasm of the esophagus.
- With chest localization, painful sensations often appear at a certain point of the peritoneum - in the stomach area, although it may also seem to the patient that it is the stomach that hurts.
- Against the background of painful sensations, nausea or vomiting never develops, which is characteristic of specific pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract. There is also no diarrhea or constipation, but mild fever (usually not more than 37.3 degrees) can occur.
3 How are osteochondrosis and gastrointestinal diseases?
Is there a connection between diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and spinal osteochondrosis? At first glance, there is no connection, but at the moment medicine knows that it is nevertheless traced, albeit minimal.
Localization of pain in lumbar osteochondrosis
First, a long course of chondrosis leads to stress, especially if the disease is localized in the cervical region, causing persistent headaches and dizziness. Stress is a provoking (but not fundamental) factor in the development of gastric and duodenal ulcers.
Secondly, with pronounced and severely flowing chondrosis (which happens very rarely), deformities of the spinal column with compression (squeezing) of the internal organs are possible.
With the defeat of severe chondrosis of the lumbar or thoracic region of the back, compression of the organs of the gastrointestinal system is possible. For example, lumbar chondrosis in this way can lead to dyspepsia (bloating in the stomach, flatulence) and even phantom desires to defecate.
Thirdly, with a strong chondrosis of the cervical region and deformation of the cervical spine segment, distortion of the esophagus is possible. This is fraught with dysfunction of swallowing, persistent heartburn, ingestion of unchewed food (and, as a result, problems with the intestines).
to menu ↑
4 The nature of pain: how does the stomach hurt with osteochondrosis?
What is the nature of pain in osteochondrosis? In principle, severe pains cannot be, unless the patient has secondary spinal diseases in relation to chondrosis. For example, scoliosis or ankylosing spondylarthrosis (ankylosing spondylitis).
Healthy and osteochondrosis affected spine
The nature of the pain is varied. It may be:
- crushing - there is a “squeeze” inside the peritoneum, perhaps a feeling of lack of air due to spasm of the muscles of the diaphragm (breathing is usually quite simple, but breathing out is very difficult for the patient),
- cutting - usually localized under the skin, but can be felt directly in the intestine or stomach, causing the patient to panic and assume that there is an ulcer that ends with a false ambulance call,
- dagger - a very rare form of pain in osteochondrosis, dagger pain is always acute and penetrating, specifically for chondrosis, its duration is seconds (the patient feels sudden and severe pains at one point, which quickly pass),
- piercing - usually such painful sensations are localized along the intestine (at the bottom of the peritoneum), the most unpleasant and most frightening for the patient, but in reality they do not represent anything serious.
4.1 How to distinguish that the cause of the pain is osteochondrosis?
Having osteochondrosis and having the knowledge that it can cause pain in the peritoneum, the patient may misinterpret his own abdominal pains. And this is fraught with the hardest consequences, since the pathologies of the gastrointestinal system do not forgive delays with treatment.
Stages of development of osteochondrosis
Signs that the pain is clearly caused not by osteochondrosis, but by gastrointestinal diseases:
- They have an extremely severe course, they are penetrating, they constrain the patient in his movements. The patient adopts a compensatory body position (for example, crouching) to relieve painful sensations.
- The background develops severe nausea with bouts of vomiting. Cases are especially dangerous when vomiting does not bring relief, which already speaks not about the defeat of the gastrointestinal tract, but rather about damage to the nervous system or even the brain (meningitis, encephalitis).
- A fever with a body temperature exceeding 37.3 degrees develops as a background (chondrosis cannot give such a rise in temperature, even if it is difficult to proceed).
- The background develops spots on the skin, there is pallor or cyanosis of the skin (especially mucous membranes).
- Background incontinence occurs or, conversely, constipation (including the impossibility of discharge of gas, which already speaks of mechanical bowel obstruction).
Causes and characteristics of pain
Improper diet, heavy physical exertion, sedentary lifestyle, prolonged stay in one position - all this aggravates the pathology of the spine. The pain is caused by the pinching of the nerve roots.
Pain sensations in the thoracic region often have a shooting, piercing character. Abdominal pain can be pulling (as in the inflammation of the appendages in women).
When osteochondrosis can occur belching, nausea and gag reflex, as well as a lump in the throat. When the patient moves, sneezes or coughs, severe pains in the stomach area appear, which may be accompanied by diarrhea or constipation.
In addition, pain can be of a different nature: shingles, local, diffuse. Pain occurs in the kidneys, spleen, as well as in the liver. It is necessary to undergo an examination to make sure that there are no serious pathologies of the pelvic organs and the abdominal cavity (appendicitis, ovarian apoplexy, etc.).
How to remove acute pain
In osteochondrosis, pain can be caused by an inflammatory process. To eliminate the symptoms take "Diclofenac" and "Ibuprofen." And the preparations "Celecoxib" and "Etotrikoksib" are the latest in pharmacology and do not harm the digestive system.
To get rid of diarrhea with osteochondrosis, you can take "Smektu." To eliminate signs of stiffness:
Any drug should be taken only on prescription.
Sources of abdominal pain
The complete list of pathological conditions in which abdominal pain can be observed is quite extensive. It is necessary to consider the diseases that need to be excluded by the patient, who is concerned about whether osteochondrosis can be given to the stomach. All the diseases listed below in the article are characterized by the appearance of aching pain both in the stomach and in the lower abdomen. Similar pains occur in chest and lumbar osteochondrosis. In order to get a reliable answer to the question of what causes the pain syndrome is actually caused, its appearance was caused by a vertebral factor (present in the spinal column), or the reason lies in the presence of visceral factor (pathology of internal organs). Only a doctor who will conduct an examination and prescribe a complete examination of the patient can give an exact answer.
The true cause of complaints of pain in a patient with osteochondrosis can be identified by the characteristics of the disease:
- tying up the appearance of pain during sudden movements, bending, turning, weight lifting, straining, coughing and sneezing,
- characterization of pain, like shooting through, sharp, stabbing,
- spreading pain along the nerve
- muscle tension in the area of damage and pinching of the nerve roots,
- impaired motor activity due to damage to nerve fibers,
- pallor and cyanosis of the skin caused by innervation of the affected root,
- decrease in the sensitivity of the extremities and skin in the area of localization of the lesion, which is provoked by disturbances in the passage of nerve impulses along sensory pathways.
These symptoms can almost certainly indicate that the patient has a spinal pathology. But quite often there are cases when there are not only these signs, but also the symptoms of other diseases, which, overlapping each other, finally blur the overall picture and make it difficult to make a correct diagnosis.
Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and other internal organs located in the abdominal cavity are often masked as signs of osteochondrosis. Conversely, abdominal pain in osteochondrosis can be the cause of serious disorders that are not associated with spinal pathologies.
Visceral manifestations of osteochondrosis
Spinal pathologies often provoke disorders of the innervation of the digestive tract organs, even changing their functions. Therefore, manifestations of peritoneal diseases associated with osteochondrosis are not such a rare phenomenon. The same nerve plexus may be responsible for the innervation of several organs. For example, the celiac trunk directs its nerve endings to virtually all organs of the abdominal cavity.
As a result of a disorder in the work of the corresponding nerve endings and trunks, the pathologies of the internal organs develop and progress. Diseases of the peritoneal organs can go into advanced stages, the patient has a lower abdominal pain, and lying on the stomach during sleep becomes uncomfortable.
Differentiated approach in diagnosis
If you have a stomach ache in osteochondrosis, most often doctors have to examine the patient for the presence of a stomach ulcer. Usually, this disease may radiate to the back, masquerading as osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine.
Conversely, from osteochondrosis, pain can be given to the upper abdominal wall, which can be easily confused with manifestations of peptic ulcer.
However, it is possible to differentiate these diseases, knowing the distinctive signs of peptic ulcer:
- nausea, vomiting,
- "Empty" burp air, heartburn,
- dysfunction of the intestines, which is manifested by frequent constipation,
- cyclical pain - aggravation in spring and autumn,
- reduction of pain after eating or funds from cramps and heartburn.
Differentiation of signs of gastric ulcer should be treated with special attention, because making an incorrect diagnosis against the background of osteochondrosis can lead to the development of stomach tumors and internal bleeding.
Cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder) can cause pain in the lower right part of the thoracic spine. Highlight the hallmarks of cholecystitis can be the following:
- constant feeling of bitterness in the mouth,
- abdominal distention, often accompanied by constipation or diarrhea,
- the appearance of acute pain after eating fatty and fried foods.
Manifestations of cholecystitis can be completely different and mimic lesions of the thoracic spine. Only timely diagnosis will help distinguish real gallbladder problems from cardiac, neurogenic, and joint disorders.
These are the main pathologies of internal organs, which may be disguised as back pain and symptoms of osteochondrosis.
Can under osteochondrosis lower abdomen, you can answer unequivocally that the following diseases cause a similar symptom:
- adnexitis (inflammation of the appendages and tubes in women), the disease manifests itself by a sharp rise in temperature, painful sensations during urination, secretions from the genital tract,
- appendicitis - characterized by aching pain in the lower abdomen, starting in the navel and extending up to the ribs,
- pancreatitis is a pathology of the pancreas, manifested by nausea, vomiting, pain in the epigastric region.
Failure to make a correct diagnosis can lead to serious consequences for a patient who suffers from a disease of internal organs and is being treated for spinal pathology.