There is practically no person who would not experience pain in his back at least once in his life. This can be explained by the fact that the spine and back muscles are constantly experiencing strong loads that do not pass without a trace.
Soreness can occur in different departments, but the pain on the right behind the scapula is known to everyone, because there are a lot of reasons that can cause them.
Variety of painful attacks
The emergence of a feeling of discomfort under the spatula on the right has several options. The most common are the pains of the whining, intense, spontaneous and pulling (dull pain) character. Unpleasant sensations can occur as a result of being in one position for a while, usually in a bent state.
Also the intensity of the pain can change. When coughing, inhaling, sneezing or turning the body, the backache is strong and sharp. A spontaneous seizure can occur even with ordinary inhalation or at rest. Pulling discomfort below the neck are usually long lasting.
It is worth noting that the appearance of any manifestation of pain in the area of the scapula (on the right side) must be alerted and prompted to consult a doctor. It is necessary to look for factors that provoke the appearance of discomfort, and not to wait until it becomes easier.
Note! A painful attack in the back always indicates the presence in the body of negative processes that adversely affect human health. The sooner they are detected, the greater the chance of recovery.
Causes of pain syndrome under the scapula on the right
Spinal discomfort just below the shoulder girdle is a common phenomenon. Most often, the inconvenience causes pain on the right side under the scapula. In this part of the musculoskeletal system a large number of nerve roots, which does not immediately allow you to diagnose the true causative agent of unpleasant discomfort.
Note! The discomfort in this place arises due to the usual stretching, but still you should not delay the visit to the doctor. It is better to be safe once again.
What can cause pain under the right shoulder blade?
The main pathogens provoking bouts of pain under the scapula:
- congenital abnormalities
- significant bruise or bone fracture,
- diseases caused by infection (tuberculosis),
- development of benign or oncological tumors (osteoma, sarcoma).
The causative agents of pain in the scapular part on the right side are capable of ailments of the internal organs. Pathologies that localize acute attacks in the spine.
Causes of pain
The pain under the right shoulder blade from the back is one of the types of symptoms of diseases of internal organs, which are located far from the source of inflammation.
To understand what causes such a condition, it is necessary to learn to distinguish pathological pain from minor lumbago.
When the disease is not to blame
Experts believe that most often it hurts under the right shoulder blade in the back of people leading a sedentary inactive lifestyle. It is enough for a person of an unsportsmanlike physique to stretch his back a little, and the next day the sickness will be guaranteed.
The nature of such pain is more likely to be muscular sores or spasms and is facilitated by a massage of the affected muscles. At risk are :.
Stepping over forty years, almost every one of us knows the cause of aching pain in the sternum and under the scapula on the left side. In eighty percent, thus, the back or heart signals about any interruptions in their work or elementary overwork.
But the causes of pain under the scapula on the right side usually remain beyond our understanding. As a rule, in this area there are so-called irradiation pains, which are located far from the source of inflammation.
But an experienced specialist is quite able to find out the true cause of the discomfort in this area.
Causes of pain under the right shoulder blade.
What does this mean? The pains localized under the right shoulder blade from behind from the back are most often signs of the following diseases:
Also, the cause of the discomfort under the right scapula can be determined by the nature of the pain in this area:
- The aching pain under the right scapula is a sign of chronic processes that develop in organs located far from the localization of pain.
- Severe pain under the right scapula is a symptom of exacerbations of many diseases: pancreatitis, cholecystitis, an attack of biliary colic, and pleural perforation.
- The pain gives under the right shoulder blade - this is a possible sign of gallstone disease.
- Acute pain under the right shoulder blade may be a symptom of biliary colic, gallstone disease, biliary duct dysfunction.
The pains under the right shoulder blade are dangerous because they usually appear far away from the location of the pathology. This is due to the presence here of many nerve endings, through which the signal from the sore spot is transmitted.
As a result of this phenomenon, called the syndrome of reflection or repercussion, it is rather difficult to establish the true cause of such pain.
Pathology is clearly expressed at 2 stages of development. There are pains of a pulling nature, which can be localized in the scapula on the right side, as well as in the lumbar region. This condition is explained by the occurrence of sclerotic processes in the affected kidney tissues. In the case of the appearance of acute painful attacks, we can talk about the presence of pus in the body. Here you need an immediate appeal to a specialist.
Know! Diseases such as pyelonephritis, cholecystitis in remission, nephritis are accompanied by dull pain in the area of the scapula. But intense and spontaneous shooting in the upper part of the ridge are a sign of negative processes in the gallbladder.
It should be noted that pleurisy, pneumonia, purulent inflammations under the diaphragm are the causes of discomfort between the shoulder blades (especially on the right). Usually such pathologies in the first stages are asymptomatic. In the course of their further development, they can provoke a burning sensation and pain syndrome under the right shoulder blade.
There are also factors of pain under the scapula, which depend on disorders in the musculoskeletal system. The reasons are the destruction of the discs and the infringement of nerve fibers in the thoracic spine (osteochondrosis), curvature (scoliosis), inflammation in the subscapularis, herpes zoster, deviations in the tendons of the shoulder (shoulder blade). The nature of a painful attack, in this case, is shooting, sharp, pulling, aching or burning. You must understand that such symptoms arise just like that. You need to consult a doctor to find out the cause of pain.
Note! Burning or lumbago under the scapula on the right may occur due to violations of the neurological (pinching of the roots, failures in the vegetative system due to stress).
Diagnosis of pain
Many people do not attach importance to the short-term appearance of discomfort in the back, justifying this state of fatigue or overexertion. Only with increased pain, people begin to turn to specialists. Usually, a gradual increase in discomfort under the right shoulder blade, as well as obstructed movements of the body, indicate the presence of diseases that are hazardous to health.
To correctly find out the cause of pain, you need to know which doctor to consult. First of all, you need to go to the therapist. He will appoint a comprehensive examination, and, if necessary, he will write out a referral to a gastroenterologist, a neuropathologist, a cardiologist. Profile experts will help to find out the cause of the pain under the scapula from behind from the back, if it is a disease of internal organs.
Basic diagnostic methods:
- Survey of the patient, the study of diseases transferred by him, as well as the study of hereditary pathologies.
- Assessment of the patient's condition - pulse, pressure, body temperature.
- Groping the area between the shoulder blades, as well as the entire back to determine the location of pain and its spread to other parts of the spine.
- Identification of other signs of the disease, by monitoring the general condition of the patient.
- A neurological examination that helps confirm or rule out the psychogenic causes of pain.
- Examination of internal organs using ultrasound diagnostics, magnetic resonance and computed tomography.
- The study of biological material (complete blood count, urine).
Comprehensive diagnostics also includes an x-ray of the spine and all its parts, a cardiogram of the heart is made. All studies are aimed at a complete examination of the patient in order to identify the causative agent of pain under the scapula on the right.
Note! Only a careful study of the medical history, all studies and personal examination by a specialist allow us to find the true cause of discomfort in the upper back.
Treatment of identified pathologies that provoke pain under the scapula
After a detailed examination, the doctor prescribes a complex therapy. Treatment depends on the nature of the disease.
The main directions for eliminating pain under the scapula on the right, depending on the causative agent of discomfort:
- Prescribing nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Diclofenac, Indomethacin, Ibuprofen, Diflunisal, Meloxicam). Such medicines treat bruise of the scapula, vertebral pathologies (myositis, osteochondrosis, intercostal neuralgia). At this time, medications may be prescribed that contain vitamins of group B (Neyrorubin, Milgamma). Topically used anesthetic ointment.
- Antibacterial therapy is prescribed in the case when infectious processes are the cause of pain under the scapula at the back. If we are talking about bone tuberculosis, then specific drugs are added to antibiotics (ethambutol, isoniazid, pyrazinamide) and the patient can be transferred to a special dispensary.
- The use of analgesics and antispasmodic drugs occurs with colic (renal, hepatic, in the gallbladder). Acute pains well eliminate drugs Revalgin, Ketarol, No-shpa, Baralgin, Platyfillin.
- Therapy with fibrinolytic drugs and anticoagulants is performed if myocardial infarction is suspected. The patient is transferred to cardiology, where they provide rest and necessary treatment.
- Surgical intervention is carried out in the event that the pain under the scapula is caused by tumor formations. Surgical treatment is also prescribed for inflammatory processes in the bone tissues (elimination of the suppurative focus).
- Anti-inflammatory and expectorant drugs are prescribed when the pain in the subscapular region is provoked by diseases of the respiratory system. At this time, therapy includes inhalation procedures, mucolytic drugs, which contributes to the dilution of sputum.
Note! Treatment should be carried out comprehensively and under the supervision of an appropriate specialist. Such an approach to solving the problem will allow to achieve a positive effect in the fight against the disease.
On the basis of the diagnosed disease, in addition to drug treatment, massage, physiotherapy, warming up and reflexology can be prescribed. The main thing is to follow all instructions of the doctor and not to self-medicate.
Also, pain in the scapular zone can be caused by oncological pathologies. In this case, treatment is based on radiation and chemical therapy. If the tumors are operable, surgical intervention is practiced.
Painful attacks of a whining or acute character in the area of the right shoulder blade, turning into shooting or burning, are a manifestation of dangerous diseases. It should be understood that ignoring the symptoms can aggravate the patient's condition.
The causes of acute manifestations may be inflammatory, infectious processes in bone tissues or internal organs. Even with minor pains under the right scapula, it is recommended to immediately go to the hospital. This will provide an opportunity to prevent the further development of dangerous pathology, and eliminate it in the early stages of damage to organs and tissues.
Soreness in this place can be caused by the presence of certain pathologies:
- violations of the motor system,
- diseases of the bile ducts and gallbladder,
- gastric and renal pathologies,
- subphrenic abscess and lung disease,
- intercostal neuralgia and myofascial syndrome.
The danger of localization of pain in this place is its appearance in the distance from the actual pathological process. This is explained by the presence of multiple nerve endings that facilitate the transmission of a signal from a sore spot. It is repercussion or reflection syndrome that makes the process of diagnosis difficult.
This effect does not allow one to independently diagnose and establish the cause of the pain, because there are no internal organs located directly under the shoulder blade. Therefore, the diagnosis should be comprehensive and professional.
What diseases cause pain?
Uncomfortable sensations in the area under discussion can be the result of damage to the vertebrae of the cervical or thoracic regions, nerve endings located between the ribs, back muscles, or even the lung with the pleura. Organs located at some distance, such as the gallbladder, the right kidney, and the diaphragm, can cause similar pains.
There are many diseases that can provoke such pain. Thus, it may manifest itself:
- Osteochondrosis, spondylosis and herniation of intervertebral discs in the thoracic region. These are, as a rule, permanent or periodic aching sensations. The cause of discomfort is excessive physical effort or a long stay in one position. Additionally, there may be a crunch in the spine during a sharp turn. Perhaps the feeling of numbness of the tips of the fingers. Inflammation of the nerves in osteochondrosis and hernias is accompanied by very strong, burning pain, aggravated by movement.
- Pleuropneumonia and pleurisy, when the lung tissue inflames, leading to stabbing pain. More manifestations of pleuropneumonia are dry hacking cough, discharge with mucus and pus, as well as a jump in body temperature up to 39-40 degrees. When pleurisy pain will stab, becoming even more noticeable when you try to cough, sneeze or even breathe. Relieve condition can be, if you lie on your right side.
- Myositis. So called muscle inflammation, in this case, forming the shoulder girdle. The sharpness and severity of pain in this disease increases when the body is tilted to the left. The reasons for the development of this disease: an awkward sudden movement, hypothermia, or a long stay in the draft.
- Cholecystitis and gallstones. These diseases are also accompanied by pain in the right back. If we talk about the first disease, it causes a dull aching sensation, which becomes even brighter, one and a half hours after eating fatty, spicy, salty or spicy foods. Additional symptoms of the disease are constipation or diarrhea, gas and bitter taste in the mouth in the morning. But cholelithiasis is characterized by intense cutting pain, frequent vomiting, flatulence, tachycardia, discharge of cold sweat, thirst, colorless feces and dark urine.
- Subphrenic abscess.This is the appearance of pus in the space between the liver and the diaphragm. It occurs due to perforation of gastric ulcer or duodenal ulcer, the appearance of complications after surgery in the abdomen or liver abscess. The pain is cramping and cutting, aggravated by breathing.
- Pyelonephritis and kidney stones. The intensity of pain on the right under the shoulder blade with these diseases is different. The first illness is accompanied by a pulling pain that begins in the lumbar region and goes under the right shoulder blade. The presence of stones in the bladder give sensations cutting and shooting.
- Injured bone (scapula) can also cause the appearance of aching pain, aggravated by the tilting of the body, hand movements and touch of the scapula.
- Boils, carbuncles, abscesses can lead to osteomyelitis or bone inflammation. In this condition, the pain will be aching, twitching, aggravated at night.
All these diseases should be diagnosed in a short time for the timely provision of qualified medical care. If you do not go to the doctor in time, you will not avoid negative consequences.
The nature of the pain - what it is
A very significant moment is the nature of the pain under the right scapula, which largely determines the formulation of the correct diagnosis.
Such sensations develop with nephritis or pyelonephritis in a chronic form (stage 2). Pain arises of a periodic property extending to the lumbar region or upper body. The disease is accompanied by painful urination, low-grade body temperature and sometimes nausea.
Dull pain occurs in chronic cholecystitis, as well as in oncology of organs located on the right side of the body.
The onset of cirrhosis of the liver can also be accompanied by dull right-sided pains extending under the scapula.
A common pathology of a modern person who spends half his life behind a desk is osteochondrosis. This disease also leads to constant aching pains on the right behind.
Inflammation of the muscles of the back, diseases of the kidneys, lungs, gallbladder, pancreas and liver also accompany these feelings.
This kind of pain may indicate acute cholecystitis, movement of stones, dyskinesia of the gallbladder ducts.
Overeating, as well as aggravation of gastric ulcers, peritonitis, rib injuries, pneumothorax, neuralgia and intervertebral disc displacement can also provoke similar sensations.
Features of treatment
The appointment of treatment is done only by a doctor, for which, as mentioned above, it is necessary to make a diagnosis. Before that, to relieve the condition, it is recommended to use tablets, creams and ointment of anesthetic action.
You can not warm up the painful place, because if the cause is in the inflammatory process, then the situation will only get worse.
If the painful sensations are the result of inadequate physical exertion or a long stay in the same position, physical therapy and a gentle massage will help.
The main recommendation for the prevention of any disease is to regularly monitor your health, not to allow physical, mental and emotional stress.
- Maintain an active lifestyle, daily walking for an hour or more in the fresh air and applying adequate physical exertion in the form of simple and all available exercises.
- Reconsider your attitude towards the products you eat and if you are used to eating junk food (fast foods, confectionery, sausages, canned foods and sweet soda), then you should go on a healthy diet. These are vegetables, fruits, stewed or boiled meat and fish, dairy products, honey, cheese, cottage cheese, green tea, compote of dried fruits and natural juices.
Just be more attentive to your body and quickly respond to any changes in health. But without fanaticism - everything must be reasonable and adequate to the situation. Health to you and your loved ones!
Degenerative diseases of the spine
Degenerative disorders of the spinal column: osteochondrosis, spondylosis, hernias of intervertebral disks of the thoracic spine cause pain syndrome under the right scapula. Characterized by aching pain that constantly worries or occurs periodically. Provides discomfort in the area of the right shoulder intensive exercise or prolonged stay in a static position (sitting at the computer, standing in line). In addition to pain, there is a crunch in the back when cornering and a decrease in the amplitude of spinal movements when the body bends, a feeling of numbness in the fingers.
Neuralgia of the intercostal nerves on the right side of the chest is caused by the infringement of the nerve roots in osteochondrosis and intervertebral hernias. There is intense burning pain along the intercostal spaces on the right, which increases with movement. Palpation of the chest is painful. There is numbness in the fingers of the right hand, a feeling of crawling (chills), shooting in the right half of the chest. Another cause of intercostal neuralgia is a herpes infection, which causes burning pain and vesicular rashes with transparent contents in the right intercostal spaces.
Right-sided pleuropneumonia and pleurisy
Inflammation of the lung tissue with involvement in the pathological process of the pleura leads to pain under the right scapula. Acute piercing pain syndrome, associated with breathing, increases at the height of inspiration. Reduction of chest discomfort occurs at rest and lying on the side of inflammation. Pleuropneumonia is accompanied by coughing - dry hacking or with discharge of mucopurulent sputum. The body temperature rises to 39-40 degrees, weakness appears, in the lungs they listen to weakened breathing and wheezing.
Dry pleurisy occurs with stitching pains in the area of the right scapula, which are aggravated by a deep breath, coughing, sneezing. Pain relief occurs in the supine position on the right side. When listening to the lungs determine the pleural friction noise. Lung metastases in the pleura cause the same symptoms. Characterized by rapid weight loss, hemoptysis, anemia.
Inflammation of the muscle frame of the back (myositis) leads to pain in the area of the right scapula. Pain syndrome increases with movement - bending to the left side, which leads to stretching of muscle fibers. Shooting pain, cutting, acute. Discomfort decreases at rest and after the application of thermal procedures. Myositis develops as a result of awkward sharp movements, hypothermia, stay in the draft.
Inflammation of the gallbladder (cholecystitis) and gallstone disease can give reflected pain under the right scapula. In the first case, dull aching pain occurs, which intensifies after 1-1.5 hours after ingestion of food, especially fatty, spicy, salty, spicy dishes. Pain also worries in the right hypochondrium, there is a tendency to constipation or an unstable chair (diarrhea alternating with constipation), bitter taste in the mouth, flatulence.
In the second case, calculi injure the mucous membrane of the gallbladder, can clog the bile duct. Hepatic colic develops, which is accompanied by a sharp cutting pain of a high degree of intensity. Repeated vomiting occurs without relief, bloating, tachycardia, cold sweat, thirst, dark urine, and discoloration of feces. A blockage of the bile duct can lead to a tumor process in the hepatobiliary system. In addition to pain, there is a rapid weight loss, yellowness of the skin and sclera, anemia.
Suppuration of the space between the liver and the diaphragm is called subphrenic abscess. The disease develops after perforation of the ulcer of the posterior wall of the stomach and duodenum 12, complications of surgical interventions on the abdominal cavity, due to abscess of the liver. There are cramping cutting pains in the right hypochondrium and under the right shoulder blade, which are aggravated by breathing. The general condition worsens, the body temperature rises to 38-39 degrees, signs of inflammation are detected in the blood (leukocytosis, increased ESR, leukocyte shift to the left).
Inflammation of the kidneys (pyelonephritis) and urolithiasis cause pain in the area of the right scapula of varying degrees of intensity. Pyelonephritis has a characteristic dull backache that can spread beneath the right scapula. The disease causes increased urination, increased body temperature to 37-38 degrees, chills, inflammatory changes in urine tests (leukocyturia, bacteria, mucus) and blood (leukocytosis, increased ESR).
An attack of renal colic develops in urolithiasis - calculus clogs the lumen of the ureter and disrupts the flow of urine into the bladder. There are intense cutting pains in the right lumbar region, shooting in the area of the right scapula. A characteristic increase in pain, nausea, sometimes vomiting, pallor of the skin, cold sweat, heart palpitations. Renal colic refers to acute conditions. To assist the patient it is necessary to call the ambulance team.
Diseases of the scapula
The pain under the right scapula may be associated with a bone injury. A scapula fracture or soft tissue contusion occurs when a heavy object hits the back or falls on an outstretched arm. There is a strong acute pain during the impact. At rest, the aching pain syndrome increases with tilting of the body, movements of the arms, palpation of the scapula.
Osteomyelitis (inflammation of the bone tissue) of the scapula occurs when pathogenic bacteria are introduced from purulent foci of infection (furuncles, carbuncles, abscesses). Characterized by aching, jerking pains, which intensify at night. Tuberculosis of the scapula occurs on the background of tuberculosis of the bones and lungs. Patients are worried about dull back pain, constant temperature rise up to 37.5-38 degrees, chills, prolonged cough. The scapular tumor is rare, accompanied by chronic pain, weight loss, anemia.
If you experience pain under the right scapula, you should consult a doctor. Timely diagnosis and treatment of the disease prevents the development of complications.
Where and how does it hurt
When a person feels pain under the scapula from the right behind the back, it is first of all important to determine the localization, that is, the focus of pain, as accurately as possible. The fact is that the pain syndrome can be migratory, that is, the pain in the scapula at the back does not indicate that it is here that the epicenter of the pathological process is located.
Irradiation of pain occurs from the lumbar, thoracic or cervical spine, from the abdominal organs, etc. In each of these cases, we are talking about individual pathologies and their various forms. Therefore, even if the patient complains of pain under the right shoulder blade from the back, this symptom still needs to be confirmed by conducting a series of diagnostic tests.
In addition to accurately determining the source of pain, it is important to understand that these feelings are of a different nature. Such differences often indicate a specific pathology, indicate the initial occurrence of the disease or its progression. In other words, data on the nature of pain help in the diagnosis.
In order to accurately describe to the doctor your painful sensations and to simplify the diagnosis, consider the most common types of pain, depending on the nature of the pain:
- Acute - this word usually describes the painful sensations of a high degree of intensity, which bring the maximum discomfort and are difficult for a person to endure. Acute and sharp pain is synonymous, such sensations arise and disappear suddenly, roll in waves, but in most cases respond well to painkillers.
- Dull pain - much less intense, but at the same time exhausting. Dull pains are distinguished by their constancy and duration of the course. The painful syndrome pursues the patient, regardless of body position or physical activity, does not disappear even in a state of complete rest. In addition, during physical exertion, sudden or awkward movements, dull pain increases.
- Piercing or cutting - types of acute pain, also known for its high intensity and the ability to appear on the right under the shoulder blade. They are spontaneous, manifested in the form of lumbago, which occur during any careless movement. Such a character of acute pain is much exhausting, makes a person irritable, because he constantly comes in anticipation of a new “lumbago”. They are said to be "as if struck with a knife."
- The aching pain under the right shoulder blade - this kind of discomfort often arises due to the fact that a person has been in an uncomfortable position for a long time, which is explained by overstressed muscles in the right shoulder blade. At the same time, the aching pain is a kind of dull and can accompany various pathological processes relating to the spine or to be radiating for diseases of the organs.
- Pulling pain - in most cases it is the muscles of the back that are observed, they are observed with sprains, strong overstrains, rather than with the development of diseases. However, this does not mean that the appearance of pulling pain cannot be accompanied by a pathological process; this factor cannot be ruled out.
As mentioned earlier, the pain under the scapula and the spine to the right can occur for a huge number of different reasons. Of course, first of all with such symptoms, we are talking about acute pathological processes that develop and affect the spine, nerve branches and muscle structures located here.
In addition, pain syndrome with the said location is a sign of chronic processes that develop in the bone, cartilage, muscle and nerve tissues of the spine and back, affect the spinal cord with its branches.
And finally, if we are talking about the defeat of the internal organs, the pain syndrome may also radiate to the area of the right scapula. In this case, we are talking about organs located in the sternal area as well as in the abdominal cavity.
In each of these cases, discomfort or pain occurs under the right shoulder blade. However, the understanding of general concepts is often not enough, so now we will examine the main causes of pain in more detail:
- Mechanical damage - the most obvious cause of back pain is injuries of varying severity. In this case, strikes, bruises, strains, fractures, etc., are taken into account. However, in this case, the pain should be understandable, since traumatic factors must necessarily precede it. This can also be attributed to a strong back strain due to excessive physical exertion.
- Osteochondrosis is one of the most common causes of pain in the area of the right scapula. This disease is accompanied by degenerative-dystrophic lesions of the intervertebral discs and vertebrae, with a concomitant inflammatory process in the adjacent tissues. And also, most often, osteochondrosis leads to infringement of the roots of the spinal cord, which threatens not only pain, but also a number of neurological symptoms. In most cases, it is a question of osteochondrosis of the thoracic or cervical region, but the syndrome of osteochondrosis of the lumbar spinal column is also known.
- Intervertebral hernia - the formation of a hernia in the thoracic spinal column is also accompanied by painful sensations that are aggravated by inspiration, coughing or sneezing. The formation of a hernia leads to spinal deformity, displacement of the vertebrae, squeezing of the nerve roots of the spinal cord, accompanied by an inflammatory process. The painful sensations are intense, such pains are poorly relieved by painkillers.
- Ankylosing spondylitis is a systemic chronic disease caused by an inflammatory process that affects the joints of the spine, followed by growth of the vertebrae. Pain in the right shoulder blade in ankylosing spondylitis occurs in the late stages of the pathological process, since the disease originates in the lumbosacral spine.
- Intercostal neuralgia - in this case, the focus of the pathological process and pain is localized in the chest. The disease develops due to compression, inflammation, or pinching of the nerve endings of the intercostal nerves. This disease is characterized by acute pain, which very often radiates to the back, including localized under the right shoulder blade. The pains are so severe that it is unbearable to endure, they are poorly controlled by conventional painkillers. The disease is easily detected by palpation of the chest area.
- Oncological processes are dangerous for the whole body, they are accompanied by pain in two cases. First, the pain syndrome near the spine and the right shoulder blade arises if a benign or malignant growth grows in this area, exerting pressure on the spinal column. Secondly, the painful sensations are present at the stage of metastasis, in both cases they are strong and permanent, do not disappear during sleep and do not depend on the position of the body.
- Pneumonia - inflammation of the lungs is always given painful sensations not only in some part of the chest, but also from the back. This is explained by the fact that the lungs occupy most of the space of the thoracic part of the human body. Pain under the right shoulder blade occurs when right-sided or bilateral pneumonia, they are aggravated during a deep breath, coughing, sneezing, accompanied by other unpleasant symptoms characteristic of the pathologies of the respiratory system.
- Heart pathology - heart problems are very often accompanied by pain that spreads to the back area. In such cases, the pain is characterized as sharp, cutting or stabbing. Diseases characterized by such a clinical picture include ischemic heart disease, myocardial infarction, and other pathologies that are considered severe.
- Diseases of the liver and kidneys - speaking of the liver, the most striking example of pathological processes in which painful sensations radiate to the back and under the right scapula, is hepatic colic or liver-related cholecystitis, affecting mainly the biliary tract. As for the kidneys, spinal pain in the thoracic region provokes urolithiasis, as well as pathologies affecting the urinary tract.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract - another cause of pain under the scapula, not related to pathologies of the back. These include lesions of the pancreas (pancreatitis), esophagus, stomach, but all of them are accompanied by other symptoms, including stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, etc.
Diagnosis and treatment
To fully get rid of pain with localization under the right shoulder blade requires an accurate identification of the root causes of its development. To do this, be sure to ask for help from a doctor who will conduct a primary examination and prescribe diagnostic procedures. Among diagnostic measures, the main role is played by x-rays of the thoracic spine, CT, MRI, of course, in the absence of symptoms from the heart, gastrointestinal tract, kidneys and liver, because in this case the treatment will be completely different.
After the diagnosis and identification of an accurate diagnosis, for a complete treatment of pain requires an integrated approach, which includes:
- Drug therapy - first of all, the doctor will focus on relieving pain, that is, symptomatic treatment. This requires analgesic drugs (dull the nerve centers that recognize pain) and muscle relaxants (aimed at relieving muscle spasms).
- In most cases, the pain between the spine and the right shoulder blade requires the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Drugs in this group also have a pronounced analgesic effect, but in addition they fight the inflammatory process and reduce the local temperature.
- Another mandatory requirement for treatment will be the appointment of vitamin complexes, drugs that stimulate metabolic processes in the body, adjust the conduction of nerve impulses in damaged nerve tissues.
- Physiotherapy - most patients with discussed clinical signs of varying severity require a course of physiotherapy treatment. Depending on the type of the pathological process and the stage of its progression, the doctor may prescribe the effects of electrophoresis, laser therapy or magnetic therapy. Each of the methods accelerates regeneration processes, has a warming effect and other effects, accelerating recovery.
- Massages - after completing a course of physiotherapy and the emergence of positive dynamics in the direction of reducing pain and improving the patient's general condition, a course of massages is prescribed, consisting of at least 10 sessions, each lasting from 30 minutes.
The described treatment regimen is applicable in cases where the pain is associated with pathologies of the spine and back. In cases where pathologies of other organs are traced and their connection with pain under the right scapula, one has to turn to narrow specialists and the treatment methods will depend on the disease:
- Pulmonary pathologies - anti-inflammatory and mucolytic drugs.
- Heart disease - stabilization of pressure, heart rate, anticoagulant therapy, etc.
- Pain under the scapula can talk about infectious lesions, then anti-bacterial therapy is required.
- In cases of oncology, radiation and chemotherapy are performed.
It is possible to continue to list diseases and methods of their treatment for a long time, since there are really a lot of them. It is important to understand that if the pain under the scapula does not go away for a long time, they are intense or are accompanied by other alarming symptoms, ask for help as soon as possible. Procrastination will cost health, and self-treatment attempts will only worsen the situation.
Causes and background
Causes of pain in the right shoulder blade fall into two categories:
- Diseases of the spine and bones,
- Problems with the internal organs.
Influence of the internal organs on the spine
Change the shade of the skin on the scapula
Then added to the usual symptoms:
- Changes in skin tone at the site of injury,
- The feeling that pulls the right shoulder blade.
It is not necessary to exclude tumors that develop in the lymph nodes, on the bone tissue or in the muscles. Therefore, it is important to go to the hospital when the first symptoms appear.
Pain in the area of the shoulder blades can be:
- Short term
- Long lasting
- Aching and dull
- Sharp and sharp.
Recommended for viewing:
If right from the back, under the shoulder blades hurts for a long time, but periodically, then the problem may lie in:
- Inflammation of the gallbladder, then the pain appears on the right under the shoulder blades and ribs, sometimes accompanied by nausea or vomiting,
- Inflammation of the genitourinary system and kidney stones. Then the aching pain manifests itself on the right under the shoulder blades, gives to the muscles, flows with high fever and vomiting,
- Ulcers and pathologies of the stomach. Then patients go to the doctor and because of other pronounced symptoms,
- Damage to the pleura due to injuries
- Abscess and inflammation of wounds, injuries under the shoulder blades, ribs, right from the back. This phenomenon is characterized by dull and aching pain, but often the symptoms do not appear at all,
- Lung disease (inflammation, pleurisy, cancer, pneumonia),
- Spinal injury and joint pathology, such as osteochondrosis or rheumatism, scoliosis. This is the main cause of pain under the scapula, on the right, but its nature depends on the disease and the stage.
Where to go for help?
Severe pain between the shoulder blades requires immediate medical attention for help.
Begin a visit to the hospital with a therapist, because the causes of the disease may be several. If you exclude lung diseases, then you need to go to an orthopedist, a traumatologist, a neurologist and a gastroenterologist.
They offer to go through such tests and diagnostics:
- General analysis of urine and blood,
- Cytological analysis
- X-ray or tomography,
- Manual inspection.
Only on the basis of all these analyzes it is possible to establish the cause, prescribe treatment.
You can get advice on the treatment of pain between the shoulder blades or under the scapula from the right back from a certain specialist after analyzes (cardiologist, traumatologists, surgeon).
Usually they prescribe painkillers that relieve only the main symptoms.
Therefore, treatment also includes:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs,
- Physiotherapy, magnetic therapy,
- Massages and hardware procedures,
- Manual therapy
- Diet and avoiding bad habits
Differences of pain in the shoulder blades
If shoots or pulls in the area of the shoulder blades, a strong tension is felt, then the cause can be determined by the location of the inflammatory foci.
So discomfort arises:
- Right and left of the shoulder blades,
- Between the shoulder blades
- In the shoulder blades themselves.
In the first case, inflammation, problems with internal organs (heart, lungs) are common causes.
If the pain occurs on the left, between the shoulder blades, then the reasons lie in:
- Spinal and bone deformities
- Nerve damage
- Respiratory and aorta problems
- Inflammation of the lymph nodes
- Kidney or intestinal problems.
If you feel that the colitis under the scapula, pain and discomfort on the right or in the back aggravate, it becomes difficult to breathe, you need to urgently call an ambulance. After all, it speaks of the deterioration of the disease and its development.
Why do pains become strong and sharp?
When acute and sharp pains appear on the side of the right scapula at the back, one can speak of a spasm of the gallbladder and blockage of the canals with a stone. It is the right edge that suffers the most. And the patient is also subject to high temperature, vomiting.
If there is a problem with the kidneys or an abscess, then the pain may go to the abdomen, shoulder, or lower part of the waist. At the same time, frequent urination, numbness, problems with sensitivity.
Sometimes pain syndrome under the shoulder blades or betweenthey arise and for such reasons:
- Injuries and fractures of the scapula,
- Pathology of the pterygoid scapula after paralysis, sports or gymnastics,
- Osteomyelitis due to severe bone damage.
Characteristics of the causes of pain under the scapula
If there is pain under the scapula, between the shoulder blades or on the back, you should not postpone the visit to the hospital for a long time, but go immediately to the doctor.
Often the cause is damage or myositis, but sometimes everything is much more serious. But even at home, it is possible to determine why the pain occurred precisely on the right side of the back, under the scapula.
Video from the expert:
Everyone knows about such an organ, and its function is quite important - connecting the human torso and upper limbs, that is, the arms, into a single whole. Directly below the shoulder blades are the ribs, between which the intercostal nerve passes.
The spine, the heart with large vessels, and the stomach are also within reach. Any problems in these organs can be characterized by the fact that pain appears under the shoulder blades from behind.
Pain in this part of the back creates discomfort, restrains movement, so it is necessary to identify and eliminate their cause.
Pain and her character
If you give a pain characteristic, then you can note two of its varieties:
- Aching. May appear often. Sometimes it is enough for some time to sit in an uncomfortable position or overtighten the muscles as a result of the same type of work, and here you have a pulling pain under the shoulder blades.
- Spicy Most often it signals about malfunctions in internal organs. May appear unexpectedly. Pain is much stronger than in the first case.
When you visit the doctor, it is necessary to explain in detail to him what kind of pain and in which area you are worried, so that you can, as accurately as possible, make a preliminary diagnosis.
Treatment of pain under the right shoulder blade
If you want to get rid of this condition, you must identify the cause of its occurrence. No painkillers will not help you if you do not eliminate the provoking factor.
In order to make a diagnosis as accurately as possible, it is necessary to undergo an examination, which will help to clarify the problems causing pain under the right scapula. Treatment in this case will be more effective.
If you want to get rid of your problem as soon as possible, then you will need the advice of the following specialists:
And to begin the treatment of pain under the scapula on the right is necessary with a visit to your local doctor. He will prescribe the most necessary tests and, if necessary, may recommend taking certain medications to alleviate the condition before establishing an accurate diagnosis.
If you have unbearable pain under the right shoulder blade, the reasons may be different, but it is better to call an ambulance immediately, so as not to risk it.
Pain under the left shoulder blade and its causes
If the pain is localized on the left side, then most often its causes are more serious than when it appears on the right. Among the most common are the following:
- Osteochondrosis. It causes a lot of inconvenience and causes various pains, including on the left side under the shoulder blades. With this disease, it is usually accompanied by a burning sensation in the spine.
- Inflammatory processes in the neck. Here the spinal nerves pass, which are adjacent to the scapula, so the problems in this section necessarily lead to the fact that there is pain under the shoulder blades from behind.
- The shoulder girdle periarthritis. The pain under the left shoulder blade arises due to the close proximity to the site of the inflammatory process.
- In intercostal neuralgia, not only there is pain from the left under the scapula, but also inexplicable aggression, irritability.
- Oncological diseases. In this case, there is no time to think, every day can push further and further the chances of recovery.
All of these reasons are not so closely related to the internal organs, and it happens quite differently.
Acute pain under the scapula on the left side
Acute pain on the left back can usually occur with sudden physical overstrains, excessive physical exertion. Acute pain at rest tends to subside, but it can also return with the slightest sudden movement or with a load that can irritate the damaged back muscles.
Acute pain in the area of the scapula may also be a symptom of the development of angina, in some cases a symptom of ulcer perforation. But it happens and cases of left-sided protrusion of one of the intervertebral discs.
Severe pain under the scapula to the left
Severe pain in the left shoulder blade is usually observed in such diseases as:
2 Intercostal neuralgia
4 Ischemic Heart Disease
If there is a very strong pain under the scapula on the left, then it is necessary to seek medical advice as soon as possible, t / k in some cases this may be a symptom before a heart attack or a consequence of an aggravation of a stomach ulcer. In many cases, a very strong pain in the scapula on the left is accompanied by a burning sensation.
Diagnosis of diseases
In order to find out why your back hurts in the area of the shoulder blades, you should contact the therapist for a primary examination and conduct a full examination. After that, finding out the causes of pain will be much easier.
The doctor conducts a visual examination, clarifies the nature of the pain, prescribes an ultrasound of the internal organs and the delivery of the necessary tests.
After all the results are obtained, the treatment will be carried out by a narrow specialist - cardiologist, nephrologist, urologist or other doctor.
It is important for doctors to identify the root cause, which contributed to the emergence of severe pain under the left shoulder blade from the back. The patient will be offered a number of comprehensive examinations: delivery of urine (blood) tests, biopsy (to exclude or confirm the possible development of oncology, other infectious, heart diseases).
The pain may well be the cause of myocardial infarction, neurological disorders requiring urgent intervention by experienced doctors.
When collecting the history, the doctor pays attention to the connection between pain and physical exertion, food intake, stress, and also specifies the associated chronic and recently suffered diseases.
If it hurts on the right under the scapula, and the causes of this disease are internal organs, then treatment is directed to the elimination of the main lesion. After the treatment of the cause of the disease will give positive results, pain in the back under the scapula will begin to pass.
Eliminating unpleasant symptoms is possible only after determining the cause that caused the appearance of this condition. And no matter what pain medicine you use, you won’t get relief if you don’t eliminate the provoking factor.
To make an accurate diagnosis, the patient will have to undergo an examination, the results of which can determine the problems causing pain under the right scapula. This will help in a shorter time to relieve the patient from discomfort.
In order to speed recovery, it is advisable to visit the following specialists:
However, the first when pain occurs under the scapula when inhaling should be a visit to your local doctor. After the examination, he will prescribe the most necessary tests, and also can immediately prescribe a certain group of drugs that will help in the first stage to ease the manifestation of pain, while a more accurate diagnosis will be established.
According to the first symptoms, it is not always possible to determine exactly which cause caused the pain under the right shoulder blade. Therefore, you should not choose the method of treatment yourself. It is best to entrust this business to a specialist.
The process of treating pain under the shoulder blades requires the patient to visit a group of specialists of a different profile. You will have to hear the professional opinion of a therapist, a neurologist, as well as a cardiologist, a traumatologist and a gastroenterologist.
And regardless of the cause, which caused the pain, most often, experts will recommend that you change your daily routine and diet.
Many diseases can be effectively treated with the help of conservative methods, among which the following have recommended themselves:
It should be understood that the primary elimination of pain is not a complete treatment. Only by removing the root cause, you can forget about the pain under the right shoulder blade.
Self-treatment should be fully controlled by specialists, since the uncontrolled use of painkillers can only lead to a worsening of the situation, delaying the healing process and reducing the chances of completely getting rid of the disease.
In some cases, the aching nagging pain of the scapular region is observed with muscle sprains, which is caused by its strengthening and stiffness of the diseased area at the time of movement. You can get rid of such pain with the help of ointments, creams and rubbing that are intended for this. Good fit:
Rubbing, which are available in the pharmacy, will remove muscle tone, removing the inflammatory process.
I must say that treatment depends on the diagnosis. First stop the acute condition, life-threatening.
For heart diseases, medication is prescribed to relieve heart pain. In cases where it is impossible to relieve it for ten minutes, an ambulance is called.
Pain during an ulcer, osteochondrosis, or protrusion is removed by a specialist. It is not recommended to self-medicate.
Usually the root of pain in the scapula is in a completely different part of the body.
Back pain is treated by the following doctors:
- A vertebrologist
- A neurologist,
- A therapist
- Psychotherapist and psychiatrist.
The prerogative of the primary examination belongs to the doctor at the site. After examining the patient, he sends it to the next narrow specialist, who will conduct further examinations.
When prescribing a treatment course, it is first of all important to identify the first causes that led to pain syndromes. In case of detection of heart disease: angina and myocardial infarction, the cardiologist will deal with the treatment.
Assign the appropriate drugs, diet, a number of physical gentle exercises.
Depending on what diagnosis is made to the patient, appropriate treatment is prescribed. It is important not only to stop an unpleasant symptom, but also to get rid of the underlying disease that causes pain.
Given that such a symptom as pain in the left side of the shoulder blades is quite common and can be attributed to several diseases, the differentiation of symptoms is extremely complex.
This is especially true when it comes to non-specific sensations. In some cases, the same pain can be a sign of severe exhaustion and excessive physical exertion, as well as illnesses that threaten the patient’s life.
To make a correct diagnosis, it is necessary to carry out a series of procedures and use several methods at once to determine the nature of the disease.
Complex activities are carried out in the event that there are no symptoms that would talk about the state of health threatening. We are talking about a peptic ulcer, a strong attack of angina, a pre-infarction condition and a rupture of a stratified aorta.
Diagnostic procedures involve first a patient interview and anamnesis.
Diagnostic procedures involve first a patient interview and anamnesis. In this case, the specialist must find out exactly how the pain manifests itself, after which it subsides or intensifies.
Then the doctor proceeds to an external examination, probing the area that is disturbed and listening. It is mandatory to measure the pulse and blood pressure.
Often this includes body temperature.
Next, the doctor prescribes an examination using X-rays, an electrocardiogram, and, if necessary, MRI and CT. With the help of computed tomography, you can specify the disease in cases where the X-ray failed to cope with this task.
Treatment of pain in the area of the scapula, as a rule, involves the administration of a certain category of medicines. To enhance the effect of drugs and speed up recovery, doctors advise combining treatment with alternative methods:
- manual therapy
There is no special prevention of pain in the area of the shoulder blades. If pain is caused by a disease of internal organs, then the development and exacerbation of the disease should be prevented.
If the causes of pain are neuralgia and muscle spasms, then it is enough to play sports, do exercises for muscles and avoid hypothermia.
If osteochondrosis causes discomfort, then it is worth talking about preventive measures to your doctor. In this case, course medication and physical therapy can be prescribed.
The reasons that cause pain in the area and at the bottom of the shoulder blades are a large number, the doctor will be able to identify them after a full examination. In order not to aggravate the situation, at the first pain you can not self-medicate or ignore the pain, but you should immediately contact your doctor for diagnosis and the appointment of the correct treatment.
Pain in the right shoulder blade from the back is a painful sensation, which is often observed in the disease of the shoulder blade itself, inflammations that pass in the internal organs, muscle or nervous tissue. For fractures, the presence of a tumor or infection, this syndrome is absent. Pain can be both acute and chronic. Feels like they are sharp or dull, stabbing or cutting, aching or paroxysmal.
In medicine, it is customary to distinguish such types of pain:
- Local, felt in one place, which is affected or associated with the pathological process in the bones, muscles, joints or tendons. Typically, this syndrome occurs with muscle spasm, which has a negative effect on the nerve endings located in the respective structures. With the restoration of tissue pain passes.
- Reflected, which is produced from the internal organs or elements of the spine, which are located far, for example, the right kidney, intercostal nerves or gall bladder. In this case, the discomfort may be accompanied by a violation of motor activity and the development of paresis.
- Irraeing pain occurs due to pinching of the nerves, it is quite strong, can produce in remote areas of the skin. This pathology is closely associated with impaired nervous system, usually occurs in conjunction with autonomic disorders and circulatory disorders.
- Dysfunctional pain is manifested by a change in the activity of the nervous system in a given area of the body. This phenomenon is often associated with social, psychological and emotional factors.
Causes and symptoms of pain
The pain under the right shoulder blade from behind from the back can have various reasons that are hard to determine without diagnosing. The pain may occur with such ailments of the scapula itself:
- Congenital malformations. The absence or underdevelopment of the scapula is rare, it is accompanied by other defects of the musculoskeletal system.
- Injuries of the scapula in half of the cases occur with damage to the muscles, blood vessels and nerves. With a sharp extremity of the limb, the scapula may slip outward, tearing the muscles that are attached to the ridge. As a result, pain and mobility of the shoulder joint arise.
- Benign or cancerous growths, such as chondrosarcoma or osteochondroma.
- Osteomyelitis usually manifests itself after injury to the right scapula, it is accompanied by pain, intoxication of the body, the development of a purulent process, and swelling of muscle tissue.
- Exostosis, during which formations form on the bone. Here, in addition to pain, an unpleasant crunching movement of the limb appears.
Often, discomfort arises due to the following diseases:
- Pyelonephritis of the second degree is characterized by destruction of the kidney tissue, which causes pain extending to the scapula or lower back. Then joins nausea, an increase in temperature. Acute pain syndrome suggests the development of a purulent process in the kidneys.
- Biliary dyskinesia. When fights appear in the right shoulder blade, there is a risk of developing gallstone disease or acute cholecystitis.
- Cholecystitis, in which there is paroxysmal pain in the scapula on the right, which gives in the epigastrium. There may be yellowing of the skin, vomiting.
- Gallstone disease in which pain gives to the scapula, shoulder, neck and jaw.
- Pancreatitis is caused by the occurrence of shooting pain syndrome in two scapulas at once, which is observed constantly, even at night.
- Cirrhosis at an early stage of development is accompanied by pain in the area of the scapula. Then there is a change in skin color, ascites, an increase in temperature.
- Renal colic provokes the appearance of radiating pain in the right shoulder blade, shoulder and neck.
- Pneumonia at an early stage of development is often manifested by burning pain in the right shoulder blade. Then develop heavy breathing, high body temperature.
- Abscess in the plane between the diaphragm and organs. In this case, with a deep breath, pain increases, an increase in body temperature develops.
Pathology of the musculoskeletal system and neurological disorders
Causes of pain can be diseases of the bones and muscles:
- Scoliosis, in which the deformity of the spine causes aching pain not only in the shoulder blade, but also in the back and shoulders, and this causes a disturbance in the activity of the digestive tract, lungs and heart,
- Osteochondrosis of the neck, tuberculosis of the scapula,
- Bursitis of the right shoulder joint provokes the development of pain under the right shoulder blade from the back,
- Periarthritis, which causes problems with the tendons of the scapula due to abnormal movements, muscle tension and overload of the spine,
- Shingles at an early stage of development, characterized by inflammation of the nerve receptors,
- Myofascial pain due to microtraumas of muscle tissue, poor posture or power loads for a long period of time - the pain is accompanied by backache in the neck, shoulder blade, foot, thigh and buttock.
Among the causes of pain syndrome are the following neurological pathologies:
- VSD. The autonomic nervous system often reacts incorrectly to stress, contributing to the breakdown of the organs and body systems. Additional symptoms are dizziness, pain in the back and head.
- Intercostal neuralgia. As a result of squeezing of the nerves, swelling of the soft tissues develops, as well as the pain under the scapula from the right behind the back, the blood circulation is disturbed.
Symptoms of pathology depends largely on the causes of its development. For concomitant symptoms, it is impossible to make an accurate diagnosis, but this makes it possible to make an assumption about the presence of a certain disorder in the body, to develop a scheme of diagnostic measures.
If it hurts under the scapula on the right, the doctor must find the cause of the pathology. For this, the symptoms and the history of the disease are studied, after which a scheme for conducting diagnostic measures is developed. The doctor carefully studies the symptoms that may threaten the patient's life:
- Impaired motor function,
- Sensitivity disorder
- The presence of cancer.
The patient is referred for consultations to specialists such as a neurologist, cardiologist, traumatologist, gastroenterologist, oncologist. This is followed by an orthopedic test, ultrasound, CT and MRI, radiography, FGDS, laboratory tests of blood and urine, bronchoscopy and so on.
Treatment of pain under the right shoulder blade from the side of the back, the causes of which were identified during the diagnosis, always begins with the use of painkillers. Depending on the cause of the unpleasant symptoms, the physician may prescribe anti-inflammatory, neurological, antiviral medications.
Medical drugs should not only eliminate pain, but also the cause of its occurrence, if this seems possible.
In some cases, it is not necessary to treat the pain syndrome itself, all the efforts of the doctor will be aimed at eliminating the source of pain. Therefore, it is important to identify it during the diagnosis.
In case of pain due to spinal pathology, treatment will be aimed at eliminating the source of inflammation. In this case, NSAIDs, analgesics, chondoprotectors, corticosteroids can be prescribed. With the development of neuralgia using anesthetic cream or warming patches.
After the relief of pain, physiological procedures, exercise therapy, massage, swimming and manual therapy are prescribed. All this contributes to the normalization of muscle tone, elimination of stiffness, restoration of physical activity, and strengthening of the back. In severe cases, resort to surgery.
Prognosis and prevention
The prognosis of the pathology depends on the reasons for the appearance of unpleasant symptoms, on how early the examination was carried out and the treatment started. Sometimes the pain goes away after a good rest. In some cases, surgery may be required.
Pain prevention should consist in timely examination and identification of associated diseases that must also be treated in time.
Internal diseases and pain on the left
If you often have pain under the shoulder blades, the causes may be hiding in the internal organs.
1. Diseases of the cardiovascular system:
- Angina pectoris The pain behind the sternum gradually migrates under the left shoulder blade.
- Heart attack. Burning pains on the left side are often the only symptom of this serious illness.
- Aortic aneurysm. This condition can cause you to feel pain under the left shoulder blade from behind because there is stagnation in the lungs, leading to swelling and pain.
2. A stomach ulcer. If the lesion affects the part lying closer to the esophagus, then a sticking pain may well appear.
3. Inflammation of the lungs, especially left-sided, leads to pain under the left shoulder blade. Despite the fact that such pain can be tolerated, but the high temperature at the same time and cough should make you urgently call a doctor.
4. Pleurisy. Pain occurs most often with a deep breath, and breathing is difficult.
5. Pericarditis can provoke pain under the scapula, causes can be in heart injuries, metabolic disorders, viral infections.
To more effectively cope with all the unpleasant feelings, it is necessary to find out their cause and eliminate it as soon as possible.
Pain between the shoulder blades
The pain can be localized not only in any one shoulder blade, but also between them. If you periodically visit the pain between the shoulder blades with a feeling of crawling goose bumps or numbness, then we can assume that you have one of the following diseases:
- Hernia formation in the thoracic spine.
- Curvature of the spinal column.
- Disc protrusion.
- Angina pectoris
- Heart Disease.
- Lung diseases.
Most often, the pain in this area is affected by people whose professional activity is associated with prolonged tension of the shoulder girdle, for example, seamstresses, drivers, typists and some others.
In the thoracic region, the vertebrae are less mobile than in the cervical and lumbar, so dystrophic changes occur most often.
In some diseases, pain can occur directly in the shoulder blade itself. These problems may include:
- Traumatic injuries of the scapula. This may occur as a result of falling or hitting this area.
- Pterygoid scapula. It may appear as a result of paralysis of some muscles of the back.
- Scapular crunch. It is caused by inflammatory processes in the synovial subscapularis bag.
- Tuberculosis of the scapula. It is quite rare.
- Tumor. It can be both benign and malignant. Treatment is usually done surgically.
Due to the fact that many diseases cause pain under the left shoulder blade, doctors before collecting a treatment collect a thorough history of the disease. You should tell the doctor in detail what kind of pains have, how often they occur, where they are located.
This is not a simple medical curiosity, any competent specialist wants only to exclude the most dangerous diseases, such as oncology. When the area of the causative agents of pain is approximately found out, then narrower examinations are appointed.
- ECG and ultrasound of the heart to exclude heart disease.
- MRI or CT are usually prescribed if there is a suspicion of a lesion in the spine or other parts of the musculoskeletal system.
- X-ray examination in the presence of lung disease.
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy and ultrasound of the abdominal cavity, if the doctor suspects you have problems with the digestive tract.
Only when all the necessary tests are passed, and the examinations are completed, will the doctor be able, with good reason, to prescribe adequate treatment to help you quickly get rid of all the problems.
Treatment and Prevention
In order to completely get rid of pain under the shoulder blades, you will have to visit more than one specialist. You will need the recommendations of not only the therapist, but also a neurologist, cardiologist, traumatologist, and gastroenterologist.
Whatever the reason is the culprit of your pain, usually any expert will advise to pay attention to the mode of the day and diet.
Most diseases are amenable to conservative methods of treatment, among them are the following:
- The use of anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs. They will help relieve pain and reduce inflammation. Usually the first stages of treatment are reduced to taking these drugs.
- Physiotherapy procedures that include laser and magnetic therapy, electrophoresis, etc.
- Massage can bring relief from many symptoms, including pain under the shoulder blades, especially if they are caused by problems with the spine.
- Manual therapy
You can still list the methods of treatment, but for greater efficiency, it is desirable to use them in combination, then recovery will come faster.
Any disease is easier to prevent, so in order to prevent the appearance of pain under the shoulder blades, it is necessary to pay attention to your health in time.
If you have problems with the cardiovascular system, then it is necessary to dose the load strictly, take medications that your doctor prescribes, and avoid nerve overvoltages.
Our spine is not only the support of our body, but the problems in it are often painful. To prevent this, you need to keep an active lifestyle, monitor your posture, perform at least the most simple exercises.
Given that our diet is far from healthy, then problems with the gastrointestinal tract can be diagnosed in almost every second. If you value your health, then you should reconsider your attitude to food.
Health cannot be bought for any money, so each of us must independently show maximum attention to ourselves. Only in this case, you can guarantee that you will not attend the pain of different localization.